EIGHTEEN : Move On. Get Over. Let Go

JAMES' POV

'This is implausible. I cannot believe I would ever have to stay behind these bars. Suddenly, I feel like I am still claustrophobic. The small room I have to take scares me. I don't feel safe. I don't feel secured. I did not do anything to be here. I don't need to be here in the juvenile hall!'

"It's Daniel. He told them you did drugs. And that you were high before the accident," dad explained. He also told me that he knew. He didn't tell me right away because he was sure that I would get scared.

'I am. I am really scared. I don't want to be in prison. Why after three months? If I really did it and he knew, they should have called and told it to the police a long time ago. In fact, they should've known that right after the accident. Why now?'

"I tried to hide it from you because you were already in the Philippines. I tried my best to defend you but I already have used everything. We both have to face it now. We have to clear your name," he said in tears.

"I'm sorry dad for giving you this trouble. I didn't know," I said.

"No, son. I only did what I have to."

"I didn't do it," I felt a tear fall from my right eye.

"I know you didn't. I believe you," his words were full of confidence. I knew I was not alone. I was never alone. I just had to stay strong and I could pass through it. Everything will be fine. That was what I had to think of. Everything will be fine.

***

THE ANGEL's POV

James stayed behind the bars for the night. He was not able to sleep- it was his first time. He never thought in his whole life that he would have to change his clothes into a juvenile delinquent. He was never handcuffed until that day. He was traumatized. It was more than a surprise for him. He had never been that scared in his life. He knew his father was just at his back. But he thought it was not really enough. He was so close to other young violators, wrongdoers, criminals. Their glares frightened him. Just the thought that he had to stay there until the case was resolved could not bring him to serenity.

The next day, he was again visited by his dad and lawyer. There, he was able to tell them everything- how it happened. It pained him to recall how he lost Louie. But he had to tell them everything- even the fact that Louie herself unfastened her seatbelt. In the middle of the conversation, he broke down. Indeed, he had forgiven himself, but the accident would never be forgotten. He would always remember that instant when he saw Louie, bathing with her own blood.

Even the way he lived before the accident, James had to share everything. He had to prove that he never did drugs. It was his friends- his and Louie's. He confessed that he wanted to try it. But because of Louie, he didn't. As much as he didn't want to give names, he had to. It was Daniel and the gang. They do coke at their houses at times. He knew they weren't addicted but they were the only people he knew that has ever tried drugs.

Daniel did it. Why on earth would he tell the policemen that James takes drugs as well when he knew that he could prove himself not guilty? James was hesitant. He did not want to be a traitor. Daniel is his friend- or should he say was? But the bottom line was, why did he do it to him?

***

The first trial on James' case was set on a Tuesday morning. As expected, he pleaded not guilty. From the witness stand, he saw his former friends and classmates. He could see how many people were there to support Louie's side. But on his were only his relatives. There was not even one from his friends who went to his side. Everyone turned their backs. No one believed in him.