°•°Chapter 53°•°

"When it was dark, you always carried the sun in your hand for me."

Sean O'Casey.

Chloe's POV.

"Wow, mom. Is everything alright?" I ask her, surprised to receive her call, "Yes, sweetheart everything is great," Dan eyes me with an amused smile probably as surprised as I am.

"How are you?" I ask her, my tone softening up thinking about how long it has been since we met last. Our relationship sure changed after mom remarried but that never changed my love for her or even Blake's love for her, "I'm doing great, sweetheart. It's been so long since we met and I miss you guys so much,"

"We do miss you too, Mom,"

"I'm sorry about how things with dad went," my breath hitches at the mention of dad before letting out a sigh, "It wasn't your fault. He just never changed," my phone starts buzzing in my hand as Zach's call keeps interrupting.

"Mom, just hold on a second," I tell her before putting her on hold, "Hey, Sugar,"

"Hey, did you reach the hotel?" I ask him quickly and yes, a hotel cause he needs to stay away from his dad to stay sane, "Yeah, I just checked in. How's your day going?"

"Zach, I'll just call you back in a few? I put mom's call on hold,"

"Yeah, just call back when you're done. Love you,"

"Love you. Fresh up and get some rest," with that I hand up before switching back to mom's call, "Mom, I'm sorry. Had to take the call,"

"It's okay, Sweetheart. Was it Zach?" she takes me by surprise making me smile, "Yup but how did you guess?" I ask her while taking a sip of my latte and Dan continues working on my laptop.

"I don't think you'd ever put me on hold if it was someone else and since Blake is busy the whole day, I figured it'd be Zach,"

"You just know me well," I let out a small laugh, shaking my head, "I think it's Zach who knows you too well, isn't it? He was the one who called me for the Christmas gathering you guys had but I couldn't make it," my jaw drops in surprise. How many more surprises does Zach plan on giving me?!

"I definitely didn't know that!"

"Well, he sure knows how to keep surprises. It just makes me happy that you guys are finally together," she adds with a happy tone, "We did take long enough," I smile, playing with the pen in my hand.

"A little too long but I'm sure you guys will not miss a thing. So when do you plan on getting married?"

"Mom!" I whine at her question, my poor mother still thinks I'm going to have a fancy wedding but in reality, I'm ready to say fuck it and just drag Zach into the courtroom to get married if that ever happens. That is only because somehow my best friend who was a cliché fuckboy in high school literally grew up into a man to whom, our wedding would mean a lot.

Who would've ever thought, he would be interested in me? But I'm glad that things turned out this way or I can't even begin to imagine, what I'd do without him. Two years was a pain in the ass as it is, I didn't need more than that and now two days seems painful enough. I sound like a lovesick person! Stupid, Chloe!

"What? I know you're not big on weddings but now you've got your darn prince charming so even if you don't invite me which I'm sure you wouldn't, marry the guy!" I laugh at her mention of Zach being prince charming. Sure, he is to people who believe fairy tales but for us, we are just two messed up people who only find balance in each other.

"I'll think about it, don't worry. Just not right away," with a smile, I imagine what it'd be like if we get married. Honestly, it'd probably be the same? With wedding bands and maybe babies, which are a long way to go, I just hope the pills don't fail me anytime soon because we are definitely not up for that. Molly, if everything works out will be our kid.

"Alright, kiddo but do let me know when you decide on doing things cause I'll be the happiest,"

"Of course, I will mom. So how's everything going between you and Brandon?"

"Everything's amazing. I'm happy," the joy in her voice gives me the confirmation I need. She never deserved the way dad treated her so hell yes, she deserved someone who loved her and stuck around.

~•~•~•

"Mom calls you my prince charming!" I laugh while adjusting my air pods. These little stupid things always annoyed me though they're quite convenient, "Wow, so am I your prince charming, Sugar?"

His hearty laugh, makes me grin while I turn off the stove, "Let's see, prince charming is a little too innocent for your sexual appetite now, isn't it?" giggling, I scoop out the mashed potatoes and add the gravy onto it.

"Oh, when you put it that way that makes sense. You've always been the smart one, Sugar," he keeps his tone low as I hear his small heart laugh now and then, "Still at work?"

"Yup but going home tonight cause mom wanted me home for dinner so hopefully dad doesn't ruin my stay,"

"He won't Zach, don't let him bother you and don't be so hard on him, he just a work-oriented person," I reason out trying to make him see things differently. With Snowy next to me I sit down on the couch, "You somehow still have good things to say about him despite how much you both fight,"

He chuckles making me sigh, "He's still your dad. So just don't go all pissed off on him for everything he does and don't deny it, Zach, you're unreasonable sometimes too,"

"Fine, I agree I can be unreasonable around him but if he's the one to start shit, I'm not keeping shut." I chuckle at his reply, classic Zach, "Alright," I moan at the taste of the mashed potatoes.

"Good mashed potatoes?"

"Darn good ones," I say with a giggle, "Alright, then. I've got to go back for the meeting so enjoy your dinner, Sugar,"

"Will do. Take care of yourself,"

"I will and you stay safe,"

"I will. Go now," I say in a short reply before hearing him chuckle and hang up on the call. He loved his dad but they just couldn't get along, no matter how much they tried because Mr. Russell makes every effing thing about work.

Clicking the play icon on the remote, I watch grey's anatomy while Snowy keeps snuggling closer and closer to me for comfort. Zach not being home definitely makes everything feel so bland and though Snowy irritates him a lot, he kept enthusiastically waiting for Zach to come home. Oh boy, we miss him so much and it's only been a day.

~•~•~•