Follow The Leader

Chapter Eleven

Follow the leader

ʺI was never insane except upon occasions when my heart was touched.ʺ

- Edgar Allen Poe

ʺThat was freaky.ʺ Zach finally spoke. ʺHave you understood anything from the crazy women's riddles?ʺ

ʺNo, it was all gibberish.ʺ I slightly stuttered, not willing to tell him about my recent weary imaginations. He would think I was totally nuts and run to the hills.

Zach suddenly took my hand and began dragging me in the other direction.

ʺWhere are you taking me?ʺ

ʺWell, you still owe me a ride on the Ferris wheel.ʺ he justified in a sly tone.

Before I could deny whatsoever, his expression turned into a worried frown while he searched frantically his pockets.

ʺShit, I forgot my phone in the car.ʺ He said as he took a few steps back. ʺWait for me right here, I'll be quick.ʺ

Once he left me, I felt exposed and cold. I realized that I was all alone in a secluded part of the fair. Paranoia and another uneasy feeling submerged me, encouraging myself to quicken my pace towards the centre of the activities, where most of the people were enjoying themselves, playing games and wining prizes with young children running around with a lollipop in one hand and a big stuffed animal half their size in the other.

I thought of my trip and how much I savored it. The busy and repetitive city life persuaded me to take a vacation, an expensive ticket to freedom and a refreshing escape to a clandestine island. Hence, I wasn't oblivious of the various legends and made up rumors about paranormal happenings on the island.

As if on cue, a cold breeze sifted in my direction, giving me the chills down my spine.

To get my mind off the creepy things that could be lurking in the dark, I decided to nimble on some more cotton candy. Since I had forgotten how sticky cotton candy can be, I shortly left to wash my hands.

When I walked into the washroom, I saw a woman in the corner at the very last sink. She wore, what seemed to be a Halloween costume with an extremely tight corset which made her boobs look like they were about to fall out of their place. Furthermore, her petticoat ended quite short, right at her mid-thigh and she was in black from head to toe, including her eye makeup and lipstick, except a few pink strands of hair extension. She didn't seem too well, her eyes were red and bags sagged underneath them as if she hadn't slept in days or perhaps high on some sort of concoction.

I couldn't say that I looked any better than she once I got a glance at my reflection from the cracked mirror. The séance with the fortune teller made me uneasy and left my mind pondering. I was more than determined to truly believe and understand her sayings. Thus, I was certain that it has to be related to the sudden appearances of Sylvain and my vivid imaginations of an invisible man.

I got distracted by a sudden redness peeking through the collar of my coat. I moved the collar away where revealed a trail of more sore and red skin. It felt slightly hot and damp.

It didn't seem like something to worry about. Most likely a small allergic reaction, nothing too serious or maybe it was Sylvain's stained blood on my flesh.

The washrooms lights flickered and I turned my head to check up in the hellish looking girl. To my surprise, she was still there washing her hands carefully. I left quickly after cleaning the dried blood, feeling refreshed and ready to face a berserk ride on the Ferris wheel.