Lost in Lust

Chapter seven

I could feel the morning sun shyly rise, sifting in its light, accommodating that easeful, in clover warmth against my eyelids and cheek.

I sprung my eyes wide open, cautious of the lustrous light. The window was wide open, letting a timid fresh breeze brush my sweaty face.

My hair and clothes were clinging onto my skin. My bedding and pyjamas being drenched, even though the room temperature seemed quite cold, despite the warmth given by the sun. My breathing was ragged, uneven, as if I came in a shortage of air, my lungs battling with oxygen.

What a dream...

Turning to a side, I grabbed and clenched the nearest pillow. I closed my eyes, hoping to calm myself down until I reached a proper level of sanity. Nevertheless, that odd man kept coming in mind.

His sensual voice, mouth and laughter... even every movement or word is spoken and the ways he strangely observes me, couldn't help but replay non-stop in my head.

He mesmerized me.

Thus, there was a present fear and darkness whenever he appeared in my dream.

I was a complete mess. Everything must be connected somehow, but I knew so little the reason why.

I took off my shirt and pants, feeling too hot and feverish.

Where was my invisible man anyway?

As if on cue, I felt light breathing on my neck. I sensed hands smooth the goosebumps on my arms, meanwhile I was still holding onto the pillow like my life depended on it.

I knew that I was wondering on dangerous territory.

I never knew that something invisible could turn up to be so existent and real.

He gave me the impression that he was stronger. It was easier for me to perceive his presence than usual.  He actually seemed safer, more lovable and delicate than the man in my dream.  Despite their subtle differences, they were both, sometimes, brusque and abrupt either when they touched me or the way they manoeuvred around me.

At the mention of his trenchant actions, he pushed aside my pillow and turned me around so that my back was lying down on the bed.  During the time that I was crucially awaiting for his tender touch, I heard my phone ringing from the kitchen, where I left it last night.  I was about to keep the phone there, not bothering to answer it, ignoring the person on the line.

He was about to attempt his assault, once I realized that it was Zach's ringtone.

My heart sank.

I pushed him viciously, probably taking him by pure surprise, trying to reach my phone.  Unwilling, he effortlessly help me back before I stood up from the bed, making me land maladroitly on top of him.

He ever so slightly flinched, when my phone wouldn't stop ringing in the background.

"I have to go answer that." I whispered in mid-air.

I wasn't certain if I was looking forward to response from his behalf.  I obviously didn't receive one, so I tried once more to leave as he let me, this time, without restrain.

I finally answered the call from Zach hastily, with a welcoming "hello" turning high-pitched at the end, since he trailed his fingers along my shoulder unexpectedly before he seemed to have moved elsewhere.

I hadn't picked up on Zach's blabbering until he spoke out an "is everything alright?".

"Yes, yes, yes, everything is great.  Don't mind me.  Continue what you were saying about..." I said not really sure what he was talking about at all.

Paranoia submerged me.

I had no clue when or where he would touch me next.  I caught circulating in one spot, endeavoring to foresee his next move.

"Ok then..." Zach dragged out, confused.

"Sorry! Umm.., I just got out of bed.  I'm still half asleep." I beguiled, faking a yawn and also making an effort to not sound like I was about to be physically harassed by some ghost.

"You know, I could come by your place later on today." He suggested. "Tina?"

I hadn't had a moment to respond, pacing rapidly, feeling chased by an invisible man.

Clumsy as I was with all of the sudden excitement, my foot caught underneath the carpet and my hand flew, hitting the lamp on the side table, while ending everything with a huge crash.

I heard Zach yell my name from my phone, but my cell was nowhere in sight.

My heart stammered in my chest a thousand miles per hour.

"Tina! Tina! What has happened over there?" he kept on screaming from the other end of the line.

I found my phone floating, assuming that it was in his hand.  I was about to take a hold of it, when he grabbed me, helping me get back on my two feet.  He let me have the phone afterwards to my now worried as hell boyfriend.

When I eventually spoke to Zach, I no longer sensed his presence.

"Zach, I'm totally fine. I just had a small mishap between the carpet and my foot.  It's no big deal." I said calmly.

"Good to know that you're ok.  You scared the crap out of me at one point." He breathed out, relieved.

Throughout the time that I reassured Zach, I felt a weird tingling sensation at the tips of my fingers and toes, thinking the fall touched a few of my nerves somehow or perhaps the side effects of being tampered by an invisible force.

___________________________________