Chapter 27 - Dad

Wednesday, January 11 --- 9:57a.m.

"Edward, is that you?" his mom's hopeful voice asked.

"Yes it's me mom," Edward said, tears of happiness about to fall from his face.

"Are you okay? Did he hurt you?"

"I'm okay now, thanks to Naf. He did hurt me, but I'll be fine."

"Oh, I'm glad you're okay son."

"Me too," Edward said.

"Nafratearie, thank you for taking care of my boy. It means the world to me. What do I owe you?"

"Nothing. I would have done it for anyone. Seeing him happy staying here with me and Grace is all the reward I need."

"Thank you once again so much."

"No problem. Hey, why don't you and your husband stop by and visit sometime?"

"That would be great or Edward can stop by where we live now."

"He got stabbed in the chest and I don't think he can leave my house for a while because his chest still hurts some."

"That's terrible. Will you be okay? Do you need to see a doctor?"

"Mom, I'll be fine," Edward said, agitated.

"Just making sure," his mom said.

"If you want to, you two can talk to each other some more."

"I would like to," Edward's mom said. "However, I am at work right now and I don't want to get in trouble. I have to get back to work now. Edward, can I call you when I get off?"

"Sure, it's fine," he said.

"Well thank you for calling me Naf. I'll try to stop by as soon as I can."

"Okay, bye," said Nafratearie.

"Bye mom."

"Bye, I love you," Edward's mom said right before hanging up, quickly followed by Nafratearie hanging up.

"That was so sweet!" gushed Naf. "I'm glad you two get along so well."

"So am I."

"Hey, do you want to call your dad? I have a feeling he'll be happy to know you are still alive."

"Is that okay with you?"

"I wouldn't have asked you if it wasn't."

"In that case, sure," said Edward.

Nafratearie scrolled through her contacts until she found his dad's number and pressed call before she handed the phone to him. With the phone ringing in the background, Edward mouthed thank you.

"Hello, is this Nafratearie?"

"No, it's Edward."

"Edward? Is that you son?"

Nodding, Edward felt tears prick his eyes. Nafratearie noticed his tears and joyfully expression. Only adding to his happiness, she gave him a quick hug.

"Yes, it's me dad."

"Your mother and I thought you were dead. What happened? Are you okay? How come you never came back?"

"It wasn't my fault," Edward said, wiping away some of his tears with his sleeve. "I was on my way home, but some people kidnapped me."

"Are you safe now? What did they do to you?"

"Yes, I'm safe now. They tried to make me a slave for this person I didn't even know. It was awful. Naf and Grace saved me though. If it wasn't for them, I'd still be back there."