Chapter 20 - Washing

Tuesday, January 10 --- 9:33a.m.

"It's a long story and I don't know if Grace is okay if I tell you or not. You'll probably find out one day."

"Okay," he said, ever so slightly dejectedly, glancing at the floor. "Speaking of which, where is she?"

"At work. She works at the IHOP here. We could go one day in the future once you're healed enough. Maybe we'll see Grace there if we are lucky."

That would be incredible.

"You don't think she'd mind?"

"She might be annoyed if we went while she was working because then she wouldn't be able to eat with us, but I think we'll be fine. Oh, speaking of her, Grace left you something for breakfast. I'll go bring it to you. She thought you'd like it."

Getting off of the couch, Naf stood up. Her injuries were getting better, but they still hurt. When she got to the fridge, she opened it and took out the bowl of chocolate covered berries, sneaking one to eat herself. Walking back and sitting down next to him, she set the bowl on the coffee table in front of her.

"Go ahead and try one."

"What are they?"

"Chocolate covered berries."

"Are they poisoned or something?"

"Nope. If you want to, I can eat one to show you," Nafratearie said, picking one up and eating it, talking with her mouth full. "See?

"Fine, I'll have some," Edward said, grabbing one for himself.

"Is it good?"

Since his mouth was full, Edward nodded vigorously, smiling. Once he was done, he took a second one.

"Grace made these last night, just for you," Nafratearie said, extending him the bowl.

"This has to be the best breakfast I ever had!"

"I'll tell Grace you said that."

The two of them kept on eating, silence filling the room. Without meaning to, Edward let out a small sneeze. Instantly he froze, expecting a shock. Deep down, he knew Naf wouldn't do that to him, but after being conditioned that way for so long, it was hard not to think of that right away.

"Bless you."

"Thanks."

He went to feel his neck and see if the shock collar was still there. Instead of feeling the cold metal, he felt his skin beneath his fingers. The ones around his ankles and wrists were gone, but he had forgotten all about those ones until just then. Now that he thought about it, it made sense. Naf wouldn't leave him in those, much less use them.

"I didn't notice my shock collars were off."

"I think Grace took them off of you last night while you were sleeping."

"That was nice of her. Thanks."

"Your skin looks pretty red where they were. Is it sore?"

"A little, but I'll be fine."

"If you say so. Since you're done eating," Naf said, noticing the bowl was empty. "I should check up on those scrapes I bandaged up a few days ago."

As much as he was internally reluctant to, after how he acted that morning, he decided disagreeing wasn't a good idea. Naf rolled up his pants and sleeves. She saw the beige bandaging on his right knee and picked at it until she had a grip on one end and unraveled it.

"Well, there is good news. It looks like that is almost completely healed. Does it still hurt?"

"No."

Altered Futuresजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें