Chapter 4 : A Change of Pace

🌸 Chapter 4 : A Change of Pace

Marina Cooper stared at the police report in front of her and sighed. It was a citation for a littering violation. The fifth one she'd handled this week. Yet not ten minutes ago she overheard two detectives quietly discussing the kidnapping of a prominent Sugar Heights citizen. The case was being kept hush-hush for now. She longed to ask what was going on, but as a uniformed police officer on patrol, she knew that she would not be privy to clandestine high level investigations. Not anymore.

Something exciting was afoot in her new town where nothing much ever happens, and she was dealing with litterbugs.

This is exactly what she wanted, Marina reminded herself as she checked the report again for any errors. She wanted a break from being a detective focusing on major crimes. She had transferred from Springfield to Sugar Heights taking a job as a uniformed police officer on patrol for a change of pace. She thought coming back to California was a good idea. She'd lived in LA briefly with her mother Eleni Andros as a teen, but ran away to be with her father Springfield Police Chief, Frank Cooper. And while the move was arguably a success, she was second guessing herself.

"I heard that sigh," Brenda Evans, a fellow uniformed officer and new found friend said from her desk nearby. She stood and came over to Marina. "Is that a work related sigh or is it because you're frustrated romantically?"

"Brenda, I don't know how many times I have to tell you just because you and Natalie found your happily ever after and are getting ready to tie the knot, that doesn't mean the rest of us were meant to get married. I am not even thinking about romance. It's so not on my radar."

"Ah, so it's work related. Don't tell me you're bored again. Be glad that crime is low in Sugar Heights."

Sugar Heights was filled with zillionaires who lived behind gates. Many only ventured out in chauffeured cars. Thinking of chauffeurs reminded Marina of Cyrus Foley and his brief stint driving for Alexandra Spaulding. Now due to a twist of fate that she doubted was truly coincidental she and Cyrus were both together in a completely different location--Sugar Heights. Apparently he had gone straight and opened a detective agency a few weeks after her own arrival.

Tearing her thoughts from Cyrus she looked at Brenda wishing she could tell her about the kidnapping she heard being discussed, but decided to keep the information to herself until the case was made public. "I'm definitely grateful that this community has very low crime other than the occasional litterbug or public intoxication case, but yeah I have to admit, I am a little bored. A little." Not that she wanted a major crime spree, but patrolling Sugar Heights after working as a detective in Springfield was going to take some adjusting.

"Is that why you have this?" Brenda pointed to a report on Marina's desk about an unsolved burglary that happened six month ago, precisely when she--and also Cyrus--came to town.

"A little leisure reading," Marina shrugged. "My dad is a cop so it's in my blood. And it sure beats watching reality shows in my spare time." Marina's nonchalant attitude belied the fact that she believed her old nemesis slash lover Cyrus was behind the burglary. Not that she was going to turn him in, but she definitely wanted to return the jewels to their rightful owner and tell Cyrus he had to leave town, Sugar Heights was not big enough for the both of them.

-* Cast -*

Selena Gomez as
Brenda Evans

-- Written by
Blossom --

🌸 🌸 🌸