Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 18)

18.

“We were being watched. And there is no telling if they aren't watching us at this moment. As we have seen with Griffin, he can shift into a tiny bug or even a bird and move where we couldn't possibly pick up their scent.” Connor addressed the pack guards, leaders and their mates.

“Jake, has just called and informed us that the body finally shifted over it was that of a black male. Griffin, do you know anyone your father would call in fitting that description?” Doyle asked as he entered the room cutting his father off.

“Dean, he has been under my father's wing for a couple years now. He has always been one of the fastest shifters, never quite as accurate as some but his speed is deadly.” Griffin stated as he tightened his arm around his mate slightly, who was shaking still from what she had witnessed earlier in the day.

“Was deadly. He's dead now.” Doyle corrected him. “And we know an elephant rifle can easily take down your kind. So we need to find out who has the most accurate shot with these. I want four guards armed at all times.”

“Doyle's right, we have no idea if and when Griffin's father plans to make his move but I want us prepared at all times. Those who are stationed with the guns will take twelve hour shifts. I want as many of the guard to remain here as the house as possible.” Connor continued on with his plans as Griffin hugged Adaline closer to his side.

“I won't let anything happen to you.” He whispered softly into her ear. “I'll die before they can harm you or anyone in this pack.”

Adaline shook her head at him as a stray tear escaped from its prison her eyelashes had made.

“Addie, trust me I can take my father out. I have been stronger than him for sometime just never saw a reason to challenge him until now. He's put you and your pack in danger and I refuse to let him harm another innocent person.” Adaline buried her head in the crook of his neck nestling against him. “If I challenge him face to face his partners have to back off. Most likely they will stop once they see I out rank my father.”

“But you said that there is no definite with your father.” She trembled as she whispered back at him.

“Like I said, I won't let anything happen to you.”

__

“Have either of you heard from Dean?” Jamison questioned the two other men after he ordered them back to the motel after Dean never reported back. It had been over six hours without a word from him, he was almost positive that something was holding him back from reaching Jamison.

“No, sir.” Adam stated as he stood relaxed neither caring if his coworker's well being.

“Fine. Nick, you are to track him and see if you can find out any reason as to why he hasn't returned. Is that understood?”

“Yes, sir.” Nick quickly nodded as he stripped swiftly and morphed into that of a male cardinal and fluttered out the window.

“That boy is too damn soft. Adam, tail him. Something about that boy doesn't seem right, and if he even hints that he may betray us you let me know! Don't act on it, you hear me?”

“Yup.” Adam snicked as he pushed himself from the wall he was now leaning against. “And I agree, sir. He is too damn soft.” His crazed smile even caused Jamison's blood to chill a bit as he watched the younger officer strip off his clothes never caring once that he was in the presence of another man. Adam's body began to shimmer just like the others and soon became a short falcon. With a quick glance back he shot off the floor and into the air outside the balcony door.