Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 3)

3.

"GRIFFIN!!!" A voice screamed over and over in his head leading up to those final moments before he blacked out. His mind replayed those moments clearly over and over through out the night keeping him awake most every night.

Even if he managed to get a few blessed minutes of calm sleep they would soon be interrupted by the night terrors waking him up in a cold sweat. Like now. He jerked awake stumbling to sit up in the bed but soon found himself falling out of the bed and crashing to the floor with a thud.

"OUCH. God dammit." He cursed as he slammed his fist to the floor. Carefully with his good arm he began to pull on the side of the bed attempting to use the two limbs that were still good to get him back in bed. After the third attempt he could feel his anger rising to uncontrollable levels and resorted to jabbing the call button on the side of the bed.

Moments later two male nurses rushed in the room to find him sprawled about the floor.

"You okay, Sergeant Caldwell?" They asked as they both moved on either side of Griffin.

"Do I look okay you imbecile? Just get me up!" He demanded as he glared at both of the nurses. Carefully they lifted the injured sergeant to his bed securing the railing on the bed to ensure he wouldn't end up on the floor again.

"Anything else we can get for you, sir?"

"Yes, something for this throbbing pain in my leg and head!" Griffin huffed as he flopped back against the bed covering his eyes with his good arm. He didn't wait to see the nurses leave but he listened as they retreated out the door mumbling back and forth between the two of them. "Stupid little weaklings." He mumbled to himself as he shut the lights off trying to drift away yet again.

__

"Addie?" Sarah's sweet voice called as she tapped on the door.

"Yes?"

"Are you okay, sweetie?" Sarah came in turning to quietly shut the door behind her. Adaline took a second to look at the clock, it was well after midnight. Why was Sarah still awake at this hour?

"I'm okay, are you? Why aren't you asleep?" Adaline pushed herself up into a sitting position as her comforter bunched around her middle. Sarah smiled softly as she crept across the room to sit on the edge of Adaline's bed.

"I'm alright. I'm just worried for you. You have hardly spoke about what has happened and when you are home disappear into your room for hours on end. Not to mention you've barely ate anything since that night."

"I'm sorry, Sarah. I've never really been one to voice my problems. It seems for the best because whom ever I open up to ends up like all the rest. So I'm better off keeping it all to myself."

"Oh, Addie that isn't so! You can talk to me, nothing bad is going to happen. Eventually you're going to have to talk to someone. Keeping things like that bottled up inside isn't good for your spirit or soul." Sarah held onto Adaline's shoulder holding her gaze. "It's okay to talk to someone. Even if you don't want to talk to me, we can find you someone who is specialized in listening."

"I don't need a shrink, Sarah. When I'm ready I'll talk." Addie said as her voice took a defensive tone.

"Okay, okay! Just keep it in mind, please."

"Okay, I will." She nodded in agreement.

"Alright, well I'm going back to bed. Get some rest sweetie, Kerra will be here in the morning to pick you up again." Giving Sarah a small hug she laid back down watching the only other motherly figure she knew walk out of the room.