Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 10)

10.

Kalee graciously offered to drive the two of them back over to Adaline's house, where they didn't waste any time getting into her car and driving off the pack's lands. As she drove she held tightly to Griffin's hand enjoying just having him beside her even if they weren't talking.

Adaline knew exactly where she was going, it was park she frequented once she got a car. Her own bit of heaven that she could escape the pack, her foster parents and her life in general. She turned the car into the nearly hidden drive as she snaked through the trees that surrounded the park. Once she stopped the car, they both hopped out of the car walking slowly over to a bench that over looked a brown tinged field, the fall had finally taken hold causing everything to crumple up and turn brown.

“How's the wrist?” Griffin asked as he gingerly touched the bandage wrapped around it.

“It's okay, I think it's nearly healed. Though the doctor told me to keep the bandage on for the day. I should be able to shift in the next day or so without hurting myself.” Adaline smiled as she looked out over the field, remembering how beautiful it could be in the spring when everything is so new and green. But like she already knew, you can't have life without death.

“Aren't you going to ask me why?”

“After I had time to think about it I assumed I interrupted you during a pretty traumatic dream.” Biting her lip she glanced over at him through the thick veil of hair in the way.

“You can say that.” Griffin leaned forward letting his head fall into his awaiting palms. “I feel so bad for hurting you, Addie. It's torture to know that the only reason you are wearing that bandage is because I can't control my dreams and my reactions.”

“Griffin, I can't say I understand, but I've heard of men and women returning home having to deal with the post traumatic stress.” Adaline sighed softly as she reached over attempting to pull his hands from his face. Finally after prying his hand away she was able to weave her fingers between his causing him to lean over and softly kiss her knuckles. “You know if you need to talk you can talk to me about it. I may not be able to understand it completely but I can surely sympathize.”

Sitting up, Griffin's brows pulled together as he thought about what he was going to say. “I couldn't and wouldn't burden you with the demons of the things I have witnessed.” After that they fell into a comfortable silence neither knowing what subject to broach next.

Adaline was the first to speak up this time, “So when will you be discharged from the hospital?”

“Not sure, but I have to but I have to be back before the doctors do their evening rounds. I am going to talk to my doctor then. But we have other things to worry about other than that.” Griffin pulled his hand from Adaline's grip as he began to rub his hands over his head nervously knowing there was no going back now.

“What do you mean? What's wrong?”

“I have to report in a few days to my superior, it is likely they are going to send me back overseas, unless I can prove and have the doctors sign off that I am permanently injured.” Griffin couldn't even bring himself to meet her waiting gaze knowing that the potential of him leaving was going to hurt Adaline more.

“No! You can't. You could die!” Adaline's voice was sharp as she jumped up from the bench looking down at him. “I just got you, I'm not about to let you go off and get yourself killed.”

“Adaline, I don't have a choice, this is the life I choose for myself before I knew of you. I just can't disappear thinking that the Army won't find me, because they will.” Griffin held out his hands trying to calm her down, hoping she would reach out for him and relax herself.