Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 19)

19.

“Explain?” Griffin roared as he pushed his way towards Nick. “You've taken sides with my father, after everything we've been through?”

“I-I sw-swear, Grif. I can explain!” Nick stuttered as he looked into the eyes of his once friend knowing that familiar look of irreversible anger that shifters were known for.

“Explain then.” Connor stated nonchalantly from beside Griffin.

“Y-your father did me a favor two years ago when my dad got into a fight with another male. The other guy had my dad pinned and was about to finish him off, but I begged your dad to step in. When he did he said I owed him and I knew it was only a matter of time before he called in the favor.” Nick's gaze wavered between Griffin's blazing glare and Connor's studied look.

“What does his father want?” Connor questioned as he waved the officers to back away from him.

“He want's Griffin back in his platoon and under his thumb. And he wants to take over this pack or get rid of you. I think he'd settle for either at this moment.” Nick stated blatantly.

“HE WILL DO NO SUCH THING!” Griffin roared again this time earning him worried gazes from the women in the kitchen.

Just then Adaline peeked her head in and looked at Griffin and flinched at his body language. She had never seen him this mad, and it was terrifying.

“Connor, let me do the honor of ending him.” Griffin asked roughly as he stared at his old friend.

“Griffin!” Adaline gasped from the door way. Finally tearing his gaze from the traitor he turned and looked at his mate's frightened face. As he took a step towards her she backed away. “No.”

“You see what you have done?” Griffin turned back towards Nick demanding his attention. “I had your back when bullets were flying. I even saved you a few times and this how you repay me? Just because my father saved your father ONCE, I saved you how many times. And now your ready to serve me and my mate up to my father?”

“Mate?” Nick asked as he glanced toward Adaline. “I didn't know. He wouldn't tell me what the operation was until we were here.”

“How many more are here to help him?” Connor asked. He stepped around the shifter slowly sizing him up. It was clear to him he was no match to Griffin and most likely the same to Griffin's father.

“One other. Adam.”

“Adam? Adam Wright?” Griffin interrupted. With a single bob of the head Griffin turned his attention to Connor. “We need to be seriously careful. That guy has been unhinged for quite sometime. In the short time I have actually dealt with him, I learned he loves death and carnage and will no sooner rip you to shreds just to see what you look like inside out.”

“Just what we need those guns for.” Doyle chuckled from his seat on the couch.

“So that's what happened to Dean?” Nick asked quietly.

“And why should we tell you, Nick?” Connor asked as he stopped in front of him, his alpha voice slowly came out bending all the wolves in the room to bend to his power.

“I-I. Umm. I didn't want to hurt anyone. Jamison hasn't trusted me since I came here. I-I think he hoped that once Griffin saw me he'd be distracted long enough to be subdued.”

“Doesn't look like his plan will work, now does it?” Griffin sneered.

“Take him to the holding cells. I want someone with one of those rifles near him at all times. I'll be along later to question him further.” Connor commanded and the officers nodded as they led Nick out of the room and outside.