9

Please excuse any mistakes

"Hey"  he said smiling  broadly me.  I reciprocated
his  smile.  He stood up from his seat and hugged me briefly .  He helped pull out my seat and I sat down comfortably  while he did the same. 

"You look  good tonight, your hair especially.. it  looks nice" he compliments and I couldn't help but blush

"Thank you.   You're not looking bad yourself " he was dressed casually  in a pair of  jeans  and a designer  t shirt.  His curls made him more handsome.  

He chuckled shaking his head " So how was your day "

"Normal... " I was interrupted  when the waiter  stopped by to take our order.

"And Nayla ?"  He asked smiling

" she's  fine.  I left her watching a movie with my mom.  She tried to come with but I wouldn't have it "  he nod 

"Does she know who I am ? My smile dropped instantly.  That question wasn't expected.  His eyes were fixated on mine.  I had to glanced away briefly. 

"No" I shook my head slightly.  " she has seen your pictures couple of times and she saw you once already but she doesn't  know you're her dad. "

"I guessed " he muttered obviously he's hurt. 

"Saddam  I'm sorry  for everything  really.  I didn't just want to put her in a tight spot.  She's quite young and I know she wouldn't understand  certain things.  Of course she was going to learn about you as she grows.   I didn't want to rush things. " he nod  his head

"I get where your coming from.   Everything is still so new for me. Finding  out about her is still quite shocking.  I still find it hard to believe I have a little girl "

Our food was brought in.

"Tell me , how was life in  the states " he asked smiling.

A smile creeped on my face as  remember what it was like staying in the state.  " it was fine... it was okay.  It wasn't easy at first.. for the first three months,  I had a tough time getting a job but I finally did .  I had the support of my best friend Lola.  She's  literally the best.  She helped me all through.  After Nayla, things became quite tight so I had to switch to part time jobs.. but all in all , it's all good.  It's a nice place.  And you, how has married life been treating you?"

He stopped eating and passed me a sad smile. 

"I'm  no longer married. Hafsa and I got divorced a year ago."  I held my hands to my mouth.

"What happened.  You two were in love.  You were inseparable"  shock  is an understatement  to what I feel.  What could have gone wrong .  Their marriage is not even up to five years

" Life happened, I'd  say we fell out of Love along the line.  The first year was  the best , that i would say, but along the line things went south, the chemistry was not there anymore.   We both knew we made a mistake getting married.  We were not happy anymore,  we lost the spark.  We tried you know,  counselling,  dates but it just didn't work so we decided to go our separate ways "

"I'm  so sorry about that "

"It's nothing dear.  And you, how has your love life been " I chuckled nervously. 

"Love life... let's see... I've actually forgotten how  it feels to be in a relationship,  it has been so long that I don't even think  about it again.  I'd  say time is my excuse.   I don't have the time.  My heart literally revolves around Nayla to think  about  getting  into relationship "

"I'm sorry " He said .

"For?"

"For everything I might have put you true.  Yes we didn't have a relationship  but I was so selfish enough not to even realize what you felt for me.  I can't help  but think I'm the reason you didnt give another man a chance all these while.  You have a big heart and you deserve to be loved.   I'm sorry I put you in that  situation "

"No Saddam.  You did nothing wrong.  It was not  your fault.  I was so foolish to become emotionally enslaved to someone  who  obviously doesn't want  I learnt the hard way that  love can't be forced .  You told me and showed me that you didnt feel the same way towards me but I was too stubborn  and silly to understand.    "

"But  I still shouldn't  go ahead with having sex with you the other night  knowing fully well how you felt about  it.  And to top it , I  acted so stupidly after.  I can't help but feel like if I hadn't reacted that way the other day, you might have told me about Nayla and I would've been there for her.  I'm partially responsible for what has happened "

"We can't Keep blaming our selves... it's all in the past now.  What has happened has happened, the deed as been done.  We have to move on.  Focus on the bigger picture which is Nayla because she's the most important person now "

"Of course she is " he smiled and I joined in.  "Look Nessa, firstly  I want to thank you for everything you did  for our daughter  but now   I want to  be there for her , my daughter.   I want  everyone to know she's mine.  I want to take responsibility  of her.  I want her to bear my last name even though she already  does.  I want to be in her life fully.  I want her to know I'm her father,  to love and protect her "

I fought the tears that threatened  to spill.  I've dreamt, prayed,  anticipated the day he would say this  and him  saying this now means everything  to me.

"You don't know how long I've waited for you to say those words..There  nothing more I would want in this life  than for you to finally  be in her life" I chuckled.  He joined in

" so are you  ready to finally meet your daughter.. I'm sure she's  still up by now "

"You don't have to ask twice my dear" we burst out laughing together.

Just one more  chapter and we're  done with the story.  I'll try finish this book as fast as possible .  I'm having a hard time deciding  if Vanessa  and Saddam should finally be a couple or just co parent.  Comment your suggestions please and don't forget to vote 💋