2

"...Hey mom"

"How are you darling, I came to have a word with you "  I  sat up when my mom  said that.  She  sat beside me on the bed.

She  stared  at Nayla who was fast asleep on the bed.  She smiled before  turning back to me. She then sighed 

" I know I have asked you this question couple of times.  Don't you think I ought to know who her father is by  now.  She's almost four, yet I don't know who the father of my granddaughter is. "

"Mummy" i whined  

"Don't mummy me.  Suddenly, out of nowhere, you packed your bags and told me you were leaving for America, of course I was happy for you, who's  mother wouldn't be.  Only for you to call one day and show me your huge bump.  You never told me you were pregnant or anything , now I've been  asking who's the man that got you pregnant.  You have refused to answer.  You'll say i don't  know him,  i don't know him.  Let me know him or is something  wrong  somewhere, is he dead ?"

"Mommy , nothing  is wrong  okay, and of course he's not dead.  He's alive and fine"

"Then bring him to me , let me meet him. If I have to travel  down to America to meet him , I would. I don't just want to be kept in the dark any longer"  I rolled  my  eyes internally.

" how many times do I have to tell you that Nayla's dad is not an American.  He's Nigerian. He lives in Nigeria "

" Vanessa, this your daughter  looks nothing like  a Nigerian, look at her complexion,  her hair. Who's   Nigerian child have you seen   with such long hair. I mean just look at her " I smiled

" Mummy  I've seen couple of Nigerians  with long hairs also and her complexion is absolutely  normal.  She's a  complete Nigerian and about her dad.  That is another story and whenever  I'm comfortable  enough, I'll  let you know.  My daughter has a father and he's a Nigerian who  lives in Nigeria so you have nothing to worry about"

" Alright then,  I won't pester you about this anymore.  Just know I'm here if you're ready to talk "

"Thank  you mummy "  she  got up and left the room.

I knew this discussion was going to come up. My family has been  pestering me about who the father of my  child is since I   told them i was pregnant. No body knows the father of my child except Lola.  i have kept that a secret and  decided to keep it till the right time  

I'm  all Nayla needs  and I'm ready to do everything in my power for my  daughter

I couldn't hold the tears that managed to escape her eyes. Moment  like this,   there is only one person i could talk to  and that is not possible  anymore. I  have no one to talk to well except  Lola but that  is not an option now.  Holding this back is a torture  to me also but i can't do  anything about it.  Keeping it a secret is the best for everyone.  It is.  Everything I am doing now is for that best.   I can't let this get to me.  I have to stay strong for Nayla.

I glanced at her and forced a smile.  She's so beautiful.  I watched as she slept soundly.  She's the only real thing I have in this world.  She means the world to me and I would do the unimaginable  for  her.

"I love you baby " I  whispered  

Few days later

My stay in Nigeria has been a pleasant one so far.  I missed this country so much especially  the city of Lagos.  I grew  up in Lagos and spent  my whole life in this city.  I left in such a short notice that I didn't  take my time to enjoy everything  and now that I'm back.   I miss everything.  The  Memories  just kept flooding back. 

I visted places I missed so much and I made sure to take Nayla with me  everywhere I went and I know she loved it so much as well.  She wouldn't stop talking about her day and anytime  she FaceTime  Lola  she's gonna go on and on talking about places I took her, things she did.  I'm glad she got to experience all of this.

Today we decided to go see a movie in the mall.  Debby  came along  also.  After we were done with the movie, we  decided to leave.  Just then Nayla insisted she wanted ice cream.   I wouldn't mind also so I offered to get one while they stayed  in the car. 

I was placing my order when I heard someone call " Nessa ? " I turned to see  who it was and it was my very good friend Hassan 

"Oh my, Nessa is that you?  Girl where fuck  have you been " I just smiled. We hugged briefly.  "Like seriously where the  hell did you run off to.  I can't believe this is you "

" I had to leave for the States"

"And you couldn't  tell any  one of us .  Seriously "

"I'm so sorry.  It actually wasn't planned .  I'm sorry " I kept  smiling.

"So how are you doing.  Like girl, it's been a while like damn"

"I know right. So how have you been"

"I've been good, I'm fine,  I got married,  I have a son , I'm happy, I'm doing great, life is good "

" Hassan you're married. Oh my goodness . I'll love to meet the lucky Woman that finally stole your heart.  Like you're married for real. "  he just laughed 

Hassan is know to be the greatest  player of all times.  He had any and every girl, just name it.  I'm so glad he finally settled down.  

"I'm so happy for you fam. "

"Thank you dear.  Thank God I met you today. My wife's birthday is  this weekend and I'm throwing her a small party and I'll love if you can make it.  Like you must come please  "

"I don't know..."

"Yes you know... Just come please, I'll  like to introduce you to my wife.   Let's just have fun, party like old times "

"We can't party like old times , don't forget you're married now" we laughed.  Back then, we partied wild.  Like it was so crazy.   

"Of course not like that.  Lets just relive memories once again. " i smiled. 

" No problems" we exchange contacts

  "You can't miss it for anything in this world, you know that na" i just nodded smiling.  He left after we said our byes and promised to get in touch

I finally bought the ice cream. 

"What took you this long . We were about to come and meet you"  my sister asked just as she entered  the car.

"Sorry I met an old  friend " I handed Nayla her ice cream.  Gave my sister hers before driving  out of the mall.  I kept smiling.  Seeing Hassan today was really nice.