-16- The Lie I Told

"What's that smell?"

I woke up to see Zuko coming out of the separate bedroom I had carried him to last night.

Iroh was at the stove, "It's jook. I'm sure you wouldn't like it."

Zuko held up a bowl as he smelled the food, "Actually, it smells delicious. I'd love a bowl, Uncle."

I stood and joined the two in the kitchen, "Zuko, are you sure you're feeling alright?"

He smiled at me, "I'm doing fine Darling."

Iroh smiled, "Now that your fever is gone, you seem different somehow."

"It's a new day. We've got a new apartment, new furniture, and today's the grand opening of your new tea shop," Zuko sat down at the table, "Things are looking up."

I took a bowl of jook and joined Zuko at the table, "You're never this optimistic. Who are you and what did you do with Zuko?"

He laughed, "I swear I'm fine (Y/N)."

"Whatever you say, fake Zuko."

Iroh laughed, "Finish up the food then we can head on over to the Jasmine Dragon."

I smiled, "So you finally decided on the name?"

"It fit," He smiled fondly, "A homage to the past and future."

I raised the half-full bowl like a beer glass, "I'll eat to that."

Just an hour later, the shop was open. The three of us watched as people rushed around the shop.

"Who thought when we came to this city as refugees," Iroh's face was bright with joy, "that I'd end up owning my own tea shop? Follow your passion, and life will reward you."

Zuko smiled at his uncle, "Congratulations, Uncle."

"I am very thankful."

I patted the old man's back, "You deserve it!"

Zuko looked at the two of us with a smile still plastered on his face, "The Jasmine Dragon will be the best tea shop in the city."

"No," Iroh looked at his nephew, "I'm thankful because you both decided to share this special day with me. It means more than you know."

The family hugged. I stood there with pride filling my heart. Zuko looked up from the hug. Our eyes met.

"Now let's make these people some tea!"

"Yes, let's make some tea!"

Honestly, it was weird. Everything was perfect. But some small part of me wondered how long it could last.

I wondered how long it would be until Zuko got bored. I wondered how long it would be before this life we built would burn away beneath me, knocking me to the dark depths of sorrow below. I wondered how long it would take for me to start feeling guilty, guilty for not doing what my sister would want of me.

Maybe I already felt guilty.

The day passed quickly. Zuko was sweeping up the shop as I wiped down the tables.

"A message from the Royal Palace."

Iroh took the note from the messenger and quickly read it over, "I... I can't believe it!"

Zuko stopped sweeping, I looked on from farther away, "What is it, Uncle?"

"Great news! We've been invited to serve tea to the Earth King!" Iroh ran off to prepare.