-1- Finding the Avatar

Water. Earth. Fire. And Air.

My sister used to tell me stories that had been passed down from our great-grandparents. Stories of a time when the four nations lived in harmony. Stories of a time when Air nomads lived in the skies, when the water tribes lived with their traditions at the north and south poles, when the earth kingdom's people didn't have to send their warriors to war every passing day, and when my nation, the fire nation, was kind, and not just a source of anguish and pain.

I admit that. I admit that my nation is the worst. They kill, they fight unjust war, and the worst thing, they have destroyed people's lives for a hundred years. I'm ready for this war to be over.

Many believe the Avatar to be dead. I can't believe that. We need him to end this war. And my best friend needs him to 'restore' his honor. Not in the way he thinks however.

Prince Zuko believes that capturing the Avatar will solve all his problems. He believes that capturing him will restore his honor, that it will get his father to love him. But it's not true. Capturing the Avatar will only worsen our problems. With no hope the Avatar will return, there is no hope that the fire nation will fail in this war.

The Avatar isn't what is needed to restore one's honor, honor is a part of one's self. Honor is a reflection of your own self worth.

"Finally!" The Prince pointed to a light that punctured the air before us, "Uncle, (Y/N), do you realize what this means!?"

I sat next to Iroh, who was playing a game with me, Iroh answered him calmly, "I won't get to finish my game?"

"It means my search is about to come to an end."

I heard Iroh sigh beside me.

"That light came from an incredibly powerful source! It has to be him!"

"Or it's just the celestial lights. We've been down this road before, Prince Zuko. I don't want you to get too excited over nothing. Please, sit. Why don't you enjoy a cup of calming Jasmine tea with us?"

The prince turned in a fury, "I don't need any calming tea! I need to capture the Avatar! Helmsman, head a course for the light!"

The prince kept his eyes on the icy lands before us.

It hurt to see him like this. It hurt to see my best friend so broken. He looked horrid. His features were always tainted with stress and emotional pain. His hair was in a ponytail, and other than that he was bald. It was a bad look for him to say the least.

I followed Iroh back to the helm, "I'm going to bed now. Yep, a man needs his rest," He stopped trying to veil his intentions, "Prince Zuko, you need some sleep. Even if you're right, and the Avatar is alive, you won't find him. Your father, grandfather and great-grandfather all tried and failed."

"Sifu Iroh," I expressed my concern, "You didn't need to put it so harshly."

The prince ignored me, "Because their honor didn't hinge on the Avatar's capture. Mine does. This coward's hundred years in hiding are over."

Iroh walked off. I still stood a few feet behind the prince. I wanted to say something. But what would I say? You shouldn't keep doing this to yourself. You should listen to your uncle. This isn't going to change anything.

If I was going to say something, I would say the last one.

That's the one he needs to hear the most.

That's the one I need him to understand the most.

"I need to train," He turned to face me, "(Y/N), go get my uncle."