Nausea

Before you read the chapter, I just wanted to throw out a big thank you. I've been getting a lot of great feedback and I'm very happen, people seem to enjoy - whatever I'm doing here.

So thank you for all the support, and now enjoy!

Prompt(s): Nausea + Vomiting

Warnings: Minor swearing

Published: 8 July 2020

Word Count: 2377

Checked with Grammarly.

When Chapa woke up, she felt like shit.

Her head hurt, her throat was on fire, and there was this unsettling feeling in her stomach.

Chapa groaned but forced herself out of her warm bed. Standing up, she made her way to her closet, swaying slightly in the process.

After she had gotten dressed, Chapa left her room and entered the bathroom instead.

It took Chapa a minute to realize, that the person inthe mirror was in fact her and not a zombie. Her well-tanned skin had a pale touch, and her under her eyes were small bags. The usual fire, dancing, and raging behind her amber eyes, was dull and lifeless.

Her hair was too disheveled for her liking, so she brushed it a little with her fingers, trying to ignore the limp and stringy feeling of it against her fingertips or the way it clung to her damp skin.

But she was fine.

She had to be.

Despite the cramping feeling, Chapa felt in her stomach and the overwhelming exhaustion, she was fine.

She isn'tweak.

Chapa had gotten sick before. But she had just pulled through her daily life at the orphanage or the homeless shelter. No one had cared, if she could barely stand or if she had been hallucinating from the high fever.

But what did itmatter?

She isn't sick.

And a little uneasiness wasn't going to stop her from attending classes and training.

She isn't weak.

Now that she had done some (skeptical) self-convincing, Chapa splashed some water in her face and left the bathroom.

As she was walking towards the main room, Chapa couldn't help but wince at the pain in her stomach. She was tempted to sling her arm around her middle, but held her self back, mentally slapping herself for even thinking about something like that.

Not weak.

Chapa entered the main room, where Ray already sat, eating breakfast, and drinking coffee. The thought of food made her stomach turn.

"Morning," Chapa grumbled, sitting down across from him. The single word was already enough to send a wave of pain down her throat. Her voice was hoarse and scratchy and sounded more like a crow than a human.

But since she wasn't exactly a morning person, Ray didn't notice.

Also, he wasn't very aware of his surroundings. Hell, without his powers he wouldn't survive longer than three days on the streets.

"Morning," Ray mumbled back.

Yeah, he wasn't a morning person either.

Ray offered her a piece of toast, but Chapa shook her head, declining. She wasn't hungry.

A chill went down herspine, making her shiver. The girl instantly slung her arms across her ribcage, trying to keep herself warm.

What the hell am Idoing?

Chapa forced her arms down again, scolding herself for her actions.

She isn't sick.

It was probably just the air conditioner.

Everything is fine.

She is fine.

Chapa poured herself a glass of orange juice, not quite trusting her stomach with anything more, and to take her mind off the coldness.

It didn't take long until Schwoz, Bose and the twins showed up. Although Chapa hadn't wanted to tell them about her....living situation....., they had still found out in the same week. When Ray had let her move in, part of their deal was to include Schwoz. Chapa had eventually agreed, but said, that she wanted to tell the others herself.

However, things usually didn't workout as she wanted.

Flashback:

Chapa cursed, as she hurried to get dressed. Of course, she had to oversleep the day, Ray wanted to take them on a run.

Aka they were running up and down the street that leads to the school, while Ray was watching them.

And although Chapa was in good condition, she didn't look forward to extra rounds, because she was late.

The girl left her room and ran to the main room, but what she saw there, shook her to the core.
Chapa had seen a lot of weird shit in her life, including Bose licking barbeque sauce off his toes, however, nothing could be compared to that.

Ray was juggling with three hoops, which were on fire, Bose was balancing a balloon on his nose while making seal-like noises, Miles and Schwoz were dancing to Hawaiian music, wearing coconut bras and grass skirts, and Mika was riding around on a unicycle.

Chapa just threw her hands up in the airand turned around, yelling:" Nope! Not dealing with whatever this is! I'm going back to bed!"

End of flashback.

Mika had, of course, later questioned why Chapa's bed was in the Man'sNest, which left Chapa with no other choice but to explain everything.

A very awkward silence and a few threats regarding pity from Chapa later, everything went back to normal.

Well as normal as it can be.

"A beautiful morning everyone!"Mika said with a smile.

"Are you even human?" Chapa groaned, laying her head down on the cool surface of the table. It felt amazing against her hot skin, and Chapa nearly sighed in relief.

Her voice was quieter than usual, but her friends blamed it on the early morning hours.

"So what are we doing today?" Miles asked, flopping down next to Ray, which the later shot him an unhappy look for.

"Schwoz is going to tell you about some new inventions he created. After lunch, I'm going to teach you some disarmament techniques." Ray answered and continued his breakfast.

"But I want to keep my arm!"Bose cried out in protest, looking like he might start crying at any moment.

Mika then started explaining, that ''disarmament'' did not mean, losing a limb, but Chapa tuned them out. She was honestly not sure if she would be able to pull through the day without collapsing or spilling yesterday's dinner all over her classmates.

But she had to.

She wasn't going to show any form of weakness.

Chapa took a deep breath and stood up, walking over to her chair, while trying to keep her legs from shaking.

The urge to press a hand onto her aching stomach was unbearable.

Chapa gritted her teeth and sat down, pressing the familiar red button afterward.