Snippets from the Streets (Part 3)

Prompt(s): Bruises; Broken rib(s) + Kick them while they're down

Warnings: Minor swearing, Blood, Violence

Published: 5. March 2021

Word Count: 2020

Checked with Grammarly.

Bruises (This one's more of a filler for story purposes)

Chapa hit the floor with a grunt, followed by some pretty colorful Spanish.

"You may not think so, but you're improving," Okazaki said, helping her up.

They have been training for about a month now, and Chapa highly doubted anything had changed.

At the beginning of each training day, they spared. Okazaki had said, that her training would be over once she managed to land a hit on him. Chapa hadn't taken him seriously at first, but by now she was happy when she lasted longer than 30 seconds. He might be old, but Okazaki had trained all his life. His movements were calm and controlled, yet powerful. Yes, Chapa was faster, but he always seemed to know her next move.

Okazaki handed her the familiar gasoline can and Chapa took off running. She still had no fucking clue how she was supposed to do this in 20 Minutes. In order to do that, she would have to be as fast as a bike and keep the speed up the whole time.

Why had she agreed to this again?

When she came back, Okazaki smiled as the counter on his stop watch stopped at exactly 20 minutes. "See? If you keep going, everything will come to you at the right time."

"And yet I still can't land a single hit on you." Chapa panted, her chest heaving heavily, but a proud smile on her lips.

"There is no such thing as losing. Either you win or you learn."

Chapa was pretty sure Okazaki and Miles got their fortune cookies from the same place.

"Do you know, why I had you slap water?" Okazaki asked once they were inside his dojo.

"Exotic floor cleaning?."

"It's an old training method, used by archers to get enough strength in their hands," Okazaki explained, taking a wooden board out of a cabinet and holding it out in front of him,"Break it."

Chapa starred at him as if he had grown a second head. She knew he was serious, but still. "If I break my knuckles it's your fault," she warned before throwing a punch.

The board broke into two pieces.

Chapa's knuckles stayed whole.

Chapa hissed slightly as Okazaki rubbed ointment onto the purple bruises littering her skin. "You can't continue like this forever."

Chapa lowered her gaze, feeling ashamed. She held great respect for the manand his opinions, although he could be annoying with his fortune cookie talks and unconventional training methods.

A few days ago she had to avoid tennis balls from a tennis ball machine while using her electricity to dim the lights.

"I'm not planning to." She finally said.

Okazaki sighed."People don't her Fate for nothing, Chapa. Fate is something you can't escape from. You can run, but once it catches you, you'll only die tired."