Chapter 22

What happened to your mom?" I questioned but instead of answering he said, "I have some business I must attend to." and left.

He never tells me anything, far less mentions work of any kind so for him to say so now I knew the subject of his mother was off-limits. Now that I thought about it the last one person to speak of his mother was the one, he called Boris, and he killed Boris.

There were pictures of her in his office and the great hall, but no one ever says her name. The old prince is talked about in scathing tones by the maids, there was even a rumour of Kateya being his mistress but knowing his penchant for younger more exotic fruit, I took no stock of it.

She was the last woman to have the title I have now, so I should know more about my deceased mother in law. But I was a Princess in name only and something tells me there's a story about her because why else would her name never be mentioned? The book about the history of the Czars Alexandrovich only has up to Vladimir's grandfather. It's a tradition that the firstborn write his father's story so it fell to Vladimir to write his father's story. I wonder if he'll write the truth?

What happened to his mother should not be my concern anyway, I had just lost the only family I knew. I hugged the urn and imagined the comforting warmth of my mother's arms around me. One stupid little lie had brought me to this, one stupid lie had doomed me, and one stupid lie had killed my mother. Sometimes, I think the things he does I deserve it because I was bad and other times, I feel my mom's fighting spirit telling me to give that asshole hell!

I smiled through my tears knowing my mother died fighting for her freedom and I should do the same. I am not going to take the easy road. He was going to set me free. He wanted to start over. I'm willing. I swiped away my tears as I set my resolve. I will gain his trust and do everything he asks. I will control my temper and bite my tongue. Let him teach me self-defense, so when he steps out of line, I'm gonna kick his ass!

Feeling better I kissed the urn before placing my mom on the mantle over my fireplace and made both of us a promise. "I'm freeing both of us mom, by the time I'm done, he'll let us go with a smile." I looked around my chambers as if seeing it for the first time. I lived as a Princess, it was time I acted like one.

Every warrior stepping into battle should always be prepared and being prepared means knowing what you're up against. He may have all the advantages but still, he didn't have the prize. He wanted a son and I wanted my freedom. Having his son would end my chances for freedom but not having the child limited my chances for success.

There was no law that said he could keep the child in a divorce especially if there was abuse in the relationship. I was going to use the prize against him, I smiled as donned my 'armour' and took a bracing breath before heading downstairs. I needed a tour of my home...in St. Petersburg, the staff was more accommodating there anyway and I was worried about the chauffeur and maid that helped me on my failed escape, and besides, everyone needs allies.

I swept into his office without knocking and almost called off my assault when I saw him. He was hugging a liquor bottle as he leaned back in his chair staring at his mother's picture, he looked as though he was crying. He growled without looking away, "I asked not to be disturbed." his tone was that of a man already defeated but the memory of my mother pushed me on. I cleared my throat.

"Sorry to disturb you MY Prince, but maybe I've come at an ill opportune moment..." He was puzzled by my words as he glanced at me. I was dressed as he preferred, my hair down in a dress befitting my status as his wife, so as his wife should, I approached him. Caressing his arms until I took the bottle from him, I soothed "A lot has happened in this place, it feels...tainted and you too...don't seem happy here. Maybe we should go to the winter palace...to begin anew."