14

J U P I T E R

Sometimes the more I want to forget something on the spot, the more I seem to remember it. But the little things I wish to keep in my mind always find a way out of my memories.

As I sat on the stool, my forearm on the counter and my head leaned on the other hand, I found myself battling my conscience about what happened. Did he really meant what he said?

Everything was like a blur after the incident. I couldn't sleep a wink last night because I was drowning myself in a series of thoughts. All those times I told myself I can do it and try to make things right but sometimes, they're just meant to overcome us.

When he left me, the heartache I felt could only be described as the avid fire that consumed all the oxygen in my body, leaving me empty.

I didn't know what furnished me to not try to defend myself when Eric attacked me while drunk. My head swam with half-formed regrets, wishing I could go back in time to backfire at him. No, I didn't come here to be avenged on, I came here because of my career and pretty soon, I'll have to confront him.

A cup appeared on the counter and I looked up to find a smiling Amy wiggling her eyebrows at me. I forced a smile on my lips and sat back. She was now sitting opposite me and slowly sipping what appeared to be tea.

"How you doing?" She questioned. This was our first encounter today since we both woke up late.

"Great." I curtly replied. "You've taken a break from modeling, right? I mean your wedding is like, in two weeks and you need to focus on one thing at a time."

The girl's always busy with work and her wedding is in just a few weeks. I think if it were me, I'd have taken a break a long time ago. Not that I'm getting married anytime soon.

Any released her lip from the gnawing of her teeth and snorted. "I finally did. It recently registered to me I'm getting married and I'll kiss goodbye to my single life." her back straightened and her brows furrowed as though she found the greatest secret of all time.

"Oh my God!" Her huge green eyes landed on me. "I'm going to get married at twenty-one."

"So, what's wrong with that?"

"I've always dreamed of getting married at thirty-five because I wanted to dedicate fifteen years of my life to modeling and achieving my ambition." She paused and took a deep breath.

I reached out and covered her hand with mine. "Honey, getting married is not a death sentence. You're just panicking, maybe having a cold feet but you can do this. When you have the opportunity, don't let it pass you because you might never have again."

She continuously nodded her head, her curls bouncing in the process. "You're right, I'm just panicking." Slowly, a grin pulled on her face. "At least I'm getting married and finally getting the album I've always wished to have."

"What about that?" I said.

"When I was a kid I've always dreamed of having an album about the most important events of my life. My wedding day plays a big part in that. I wanted to have one because when I grow older and have children, I can always share with them the happiest moments of my life." her eyes beamed with delight.

A smile stained on my lips when I remember my parents photo album. It was very special to my Mom and she always go through it all the time. During her hospitalization, she liked enlightening me about each picture in the photo album. Her smiles were always sincere and reached her eyes as she spoke.

A sinking feeling of déjà vu hit me when I heard the front door open, followed by the footsteps of what I assumed to be two individuals. I placed my hand over my chest, my heart throbbing beneath it. Scared Amy might have seen the nervous gesture, I looked at her but to my relief, she was staring behind me.