Chapter Thirty Nine

Rave tried to stand up by leaning on the wall. "I remembered everything now Riel. You played a big joke on me... on us." He gritted his teeth. He was covering his ribs with his hand. Riel tightened his hold on me and caressed my neck with the gun. He was chuckling horribly now. Then he pointed the weapon away from me to Rave.

"I was so smart, darling." He whispered into my ear. I recalled how my caller had stopped calling me for about two months because Riel had gone to Europe by then. Rave and he came back at the same time so I thought... God.

It was Riel all along. It was him who had manipulated us into his schemes.

"Yes, he's right. So what? After I'm through with that two stupid peons, we'll be together forever." Lucy gasped as she heard the word 'through'.

"But you had my... necklace." I was backing two steps. I turned to Rave. "If you were that guy?... why didn't you recognize me right the first time? Why didn't you recall when we were back in the hotel room?"

"Maire... I told you about my accident before. And I even said that it's none of your business... But the truth of the matter is... I had a partial amnesia, the doctor said that it was a post-traumatic experience that had my memory before the accident erased."

"Then the recent accident had triggered your memory back. Thank me Rave. Thank me!"

I opened my mouth to say something but my throat was clogged. I would have been happy to hear that... but would there be time to celebrate?

Riel gave me a knowing smile. "Yes. Don't you know..." He stared up at the ceiling, his frown was visible in his face as memories came rushing back to him...

Room 210

His sister was getting into hysterics again. He needed to find the one man whom Brea wanted so much. His hands were curled into tight fists. There were paparazzi walking out of there. Laughing as they exchanged words of... somewhat like, termed 'Ms. Butterfly'.

What the hell was happening? Had the president's daughter occupied that room? But it couldn't be... Absurd! He might have looked into a wrong room. He was about to turn around when a man storming out of there in anger.

He wouldn't have minded the next person who walked out of there, had it not been for the girl, no.. a woman with puffy eyes, hair disheveled so was her dress. But she looked stunningly beautiful first thing in the morning. She looked like a mirage. A goddess in his eyes. She passed him by numbly. What's with that room? He strode inside and saw Rave sleeping on his stomach, dead to the world.

"Rave." He hissed in anger. "My sister's suffering while you're here..." He shook him in the shoulders when he saw the silver chain on the sheet along with something brownish red. A blood stain. He took the necklace and put it inside his pocket.

Rave scratched his eyes absentmindedly as he felt someone shaking him. He rolled to his side of the bed only to fall on the floor. "Damn. Ouch." His head was throbbing. He opened his eyes and saw Riel standing there. He opted to stand up. This was the cruel thing after a morning of pleasure.

"What are you doing here?"

"You are responsible for my sister's well-being now. It's because of you why Brea..." He watched him raised his eyebrow. He couldn't accept the doctor's prognosis that it could be in their genes. That it was passed on to them by their parents or forefathers. Hereditary.

"I did not promise anything to Brea. God knows... I tried being nice to her Riel. I didn't even touch her." He swore under his breath when he saw the glimpse of dried blood on the crumpled satin sheets.