Chapter Twenty Seven

I was staring blindly at the wonderful painting in front of me.

Is it me? That woman wrapped in white satin sheets? I felt the world crushed before me. I felt betrayed. Why didn't Riel tell me? Why did he have to keep the truth from me? All along he was pretending to be my friend when he knew who I was... what I had been to him.

Oh my God. I struggled to breathe. I clamped my hand on my mouth. Boy, was I stupid?

I'd been fooled. Again. That's why... we'd met in the hotel that same day I woke up... with the paparazzi, only hours apart when I came back for my necklace.

"Pumpkin are you----" He touched my arm and I flinched. I raced out of there not minding people's murmurings. Society be damned.

I hadn't heard him trailing after me, calling my name. Walk. Run. Inhale. Exhale. I was walking with no sense of direction that I hadn't noticed the impending danger, a car that was speeding near me, all I know was that... I didn't know what to believe anymore.

I was blinded by the lights, in the far corner of my sanity I heard a loud buzz.

"Marie Claire!" I was hauled into somebody else's arms. In just a flash we fell off the pavement on the sidewalk. He was hugging me tight. Suffocating me.

"Please... Marie Claire." He whispered desperately and cupped my cheek with both hands and raised it to meet his. He was panting. I wasn't blinking for a few second.

"Pumpkin... I'm sorry..." He was rocking me. He hugged me tighter.

It was like I was shot. I bolted upright that had knocked him off balance. Welcome back to the world of sane and logic Marie Claire. Riel gaped at me and tried to hold my wrist but I shoved him away from me.

"Listen to me..." He was begging now.

"No! Riel," I stepped back a couple of steps when he moved forward. "Don't touch me..."

"I just don't wanna lose you..." He whimpered in anguish. I didn't care if he looked in pain right at that moment. He pulled out the necklace from the inside pocket of his coat. I opened my mouth but no words came out of it for a few seconds.

"Do you think you won't lose me now?" I glared at him through misty eyes. I turned and quickly hailed a cab.

I was so confused. Riel had been that guy with his phantom eyes. What should I feel? I was trying and trying but good to search for the answer, now that I have it...

"I couldn't believe this." Somehow, I couldn't imagine myself sleeping with Riel. But what do I know? I'd have no memory of it.

I heard the clock struck 12 in the lobby. I moved in with the people inside the elevator. An old woman had her eyes fixed on me. I found myself on the rooftop of the building where the pool area is located.

I slowly walked down the stairs of the swimming pool. The gown was already wet. I was halfway in the middle. The moon above was illuminating its bluish color. I floated with arms spread sidewards. I was staring up at the heaven with no stars tonight.

It was like... I was dead. I gently closed my eyes while tears were silently falling down my face.

Memories kept rewinding, a proof that Riel had betrayed me. I remembered the day my father had disowned me.

"You're important to me." I couldn't say much more because it's the truth. He adjusted me to fit in to his arms when something sparkling slipped out of his pocket. It was a thin chain of necklace.

"Riel... what was.." Surely, it wasn't...

"Oh... it was my mother's. Hanggang ngayon di ka pa rin nagsasanay magsalita ng tagalog." He tucked the silver chain back in his palm. He shrugged nonchalantly. Hell, I was getting paranoid again.

I recalled the conversation with Riel on Laina's come-out along with the launching of Kalinga Foundation.

"Yeah..." My thoughts wandered. I was walking, and walking. Wanting to run away. I was ruined. I don't know how I'd gotten in the park. But I did. Time stood still, hours and hours of silence amongst the noisy street and children playing. I wanted to cry. Then I touched my necklace my mother gave me, just as suddenly. I found myself going back.

"I saw you at the hotel lobby that day, looking lost. You were hysterical when they told you that there was no necklace found on the room you... occupied that night."

It was like the pieces of the puzzle I was trying to solve for myself. The day I'd lost it. My innocence and my mother's necklace.

I woke up finding myself with a blur. Maybe it was just a dream. I slowly opened one good eye with a prayer. I sat up straight when realization hit me. I've no clothes on. I hadn't noticed my necklace got entangled on the sheet.

Darkness was pulling me down. I was getting tired and sick of my life. Death is easy.

"Maire..."

Someone was slapping my face. I squinted my eyes, but my vision of the man over me was blurred. Then I felt like vomiting. It was all water. Water. And water.

"Rave?"

"Are you insane! I found you lying there limp... like a dead. Don't you ever do that again! It's a good thing Mrs. Perez next door has seen you in the elevator going.." He brushed the strands of fallen hair back. He was wet. And very much angry.

I rolled my eyes. "You're yelling..." My throat felt tight and itchy.

"What!" He said angrily. He lifted me into his arms and carried me down to his unit. He put me in the tub with lukewarm water. No rose petals? I giggled. I wonder how Rave made my day. He was furious. It meant... he was worried. And worrying meant...

He threw me the towel and it hit me right on the face. "Ouch!" So much for romantic illusions.

"Bathe yourself." He cast me a warning glance. "Don't sleep in the tub." He stressed out every words like I was his autistic daughter. I stuck my tongue out to him. Goodness, I was acting like one.

"I thought you're going to bathe me." I shouted through the curtains teasingly. I heard his groan that made me smile. I closed my eyes again. I was bone tired of everything that's going on. I didn't want to think anymore. What good would it do to me?

"Maire... the--- I said don't sleep in the tub." He roared. I opened one good eye.

"Rave... I'm tired." He moved forward and knelt in front of me. I saw his expression changed. From anger to gentleness. He put a shampoo in his hand and started massaging my scalp along with my hair.

"Rave... I never thought you'd be romantic." I said tauntingly.

"Shut up." My grin was now spread across my face. This big bear of a man isn't really showy. I knew he was a little embarrassed at making his feelings known. Why so?

"But it's the truth... romantic and swee---" He rubbed the towel with soap on my face which eventually closed my mouth. When he was through with my hair, he stood up without even looking at me.

"Go continue bathing."

"But you're not yet finished." I flashed him a seductive smile. I saw his scowl. I laughed aloud when he turned his back and shut the door with a bang. He was really trying to control himself around me.

I was drying my hair when I got out. I had my robe on. There were two messages on Rave's private line, so where the hell is he?

"Rave... I've already sent the documents you needed to your father's house. In the meantime let's wait for the result. I think... Mission Accomplished."

Documents? I arched my brow. Rave has a father here?

"Ravey baby... I'm getting bored here in your house. Visit me. Asap."

Men are really morons!