Chapter Twelve

I whipped about just as instantly our eyes locked together. My sister.

Or should I say... stepsister?

"Hello there, dear." A slow knowing smile touched my lips. Her eyes squinted in doubt. I bet she thought I was brewing something. Well, I'd give her credit for that.

"What are you getting into this time? Lurking around in shadows like a common thief? Eavesdropping?" She moved closer. So... she didn't know. Hadn't heard.

"Poor Laina, you don't wanna know, sister." I whispered in her ear. I watched the display of confusion in her eyes.

"Oh... And one more thing, If your mother were still alive we would have hit it off." Being a promiscuos, eh? So she married father while carrying some man's bastard. I turned away as soon as I saw the sneer in Laina's face.

"I'll see you at the ball tomorrow night Laina."

The School's Masquerade Ball was termed the Gala of the Ton by the paparazzi where the prestigious, famous and wealthiest sons and daughters of the Elite Society gathered.

Ever since I've been tagged as Ms. Butterfly I've been in to many surprises. What's more? We wore masks that concealed the hypocrisy of the individual's hidden anomalies.

Drugs. Sex. Intrigue. Drama. Secrets

It was all kept hidden under the limelight. The same time of the year I wreak havoc in the name of my forsaken family. I straightened my back and glanced through the feathered mask, observing the grand balcony with the atmosphere of Victorian era.

I seductively descended the grand staircase. Getting their attention was easy. Too easy, in fact a man came strolling from the crowd. It has been a tradition that the first man who had kissed your knuckles would get the lady's hand that night. To what extent she'll give? That's the intrigue.

I puckered my lush lips up as he kissed my knuckles in a soft, featherlike caress.

"Hello Ms. Butterfly." He sensuously grinned. My eyes focused on his mouth. His eyes were masked but I couldn't be wrong.

I shouldn't have been walking down memory lanes. But I did, that moment.

"Have I seen you before?" He breathed on my ear.

This man stepped into the crowd and extended his hand to Ms. Nobody. Hell, yeah I'd never thought I get to snare the handsomest and most popular jock in town. Kev Sy. A chic magnet, not to add the pedestal he was stepping in. The President's nephew.

This night was my meal ticket to Society's dinner buffet. My first taste of a formal soiree. It was entirely different from the parties Laina had stucked me into. Well, before that... fateful night. I was Ms. Nobody. Ms. Illegitimate.

I smiled as I deliberately missed the red carpet, given that everyone should walk into, on time.

Because I made my own catwalk. I broke their rule.

I was the wolf, in search of his prey.

Just my luck.

After the stain on my back men came on to me like bees. Made a pass. Branded me names. Hear out catcalls. Haters started to form a fan's club, ironic while they're trying to pull me down they only made me infamous.

"What about 'have you gone out of your closet'?" I flirtatiously laughed. I could feel his hand caressing me through the stomacher of the ball gown I wore.

I would have pushed him away had it not been for the sake of... my vengeance.

"So.... who are you?" He bit my earlobe. You're worst nightmare Kev. I'll try to play his games.