Chapter Three

I sipped my wine as I looked down at the wide balcony where all the rich and famous were gathered. This is the come-out of the precious daughter of the respectable Senator Rick Enrique. Is this what they call polite society?

So what the heck am I doing here? I was never polite.

Ohh... I forgot. I'm here because I'm also a charity case just like what Laina is launching right now. The very obedient daughter.

"Why aren't the prettiest girl in town coming down yet? It's Laina's debut." my head suddenly turned to the voice in the dark corner of the veranda. I opened my mouth only to shut it up again.

"Prettiest girl? Ha! That's only for teen boppers, I don't have pigtails anymore. But you, you haven't changed a bit. You come out of nowhere then vanish like a ghost." I took a step forward. Taking my time. I pinpointed his hard muscled chest. Still a hunk, huh?

"Don't I get a kiss and a hug instead? God, you're 18 now. So grown up. So is Laina. After all, Belated Happy Birthday pumpkin!" he opened his arms and I stepped in like it was a safe haven after the raging storm. He made me feel secured. I missed being his pumpkin.

"It's two months overdue." I poked his ribs. Two months apart from my dear sister. So virile our father is.

"I've heard about the rumors, you're not behaving yourself aren't you?" I rolled my eyes and sighed. I knew he was going to preach me about it.

"You've become hard on yourself. Hatred is eating you. Don't you just forgive and forget?" he said softly, he knew me that much.

"Don't tell me that you've come all the way here from Europe just to tell me that." I tried to pull out of his arms but he wouldn't let me.

"I just care for you."

"I don't need your pity." I spit it out and gazed at the grand mansion. The home that has become my prison.

"You, of all people should know that pity is the farthest thing I feel for you." He looked at me. Even in the dark I can see sincerity in his eyes. Could it be? No. Of course not. It's been a year. I hadn't known him. Only his eyes.

Midnight eyes. Like a phantom lover. It hit me.

It reminded me of that long ago night.

Memories came flashing back as if it was a reel film.

My head was aching. What's the fuss with having a grand party if all you have to do is dance and then your way to headache? I don't understand rich people. They socialize a lot while spreading rumors and talking gossips about one's stain on the back. Don't they have real friends?

"Laina, my head's paining me. I wanna go home. Mamita's probably worrying." I doubted my words. Mamita will surely fuss, but not for me.

"I've already talked to Mamita on the phone, she's agreed that we'll stay the night. Don't worry you're safe with me." She smiled at Caroline.

I groaned. I massaged my temples. Trying to be here is a bad idea. Trying to get along with your new found half-sister is another matter.

"You take this, it works to get your mood in a better state." I gazed at the pill Caroline was handing me.

"Caroline, no." I heard Laina's weak protest.

"Laina, your problem with your sister will be solved." I hadn't heard the underlying meaning behind Caroline's words. All I know is that she's Laina's best trusted friend.

So I trusted her.

"Oh-kay." I heard my sister in a resigned voice.

I took the pill and swallowed it in one gulp. I suddenly felt my head throbbing, moving with the rythm of the music. I don't understand but it's getting louder. I've got more energy than I used to. My head is spinning. Caroline said something that made me frown then laugh. They led me to another suite on the next level. I almost forgot that the party had occupied the second floor of the hotel.