Chapter Seventeen

I don't have a choice, do I?

I know that I'm going with him. But... Goodness, I'll be his personal maid? In short, achay. Damn. Damn. Damn. I spotted my long perfectly polished fingernails. What do I know about house chores? I suppressed a groan.

"Let's go...?" I flashed him my sweetest smile. He just shrugged. I was heading out the door when I sensed that no footsteps were trailing after me. I whipped about to see him leaning on the wall. I raised my eyebrow.

"Aren't we going yet?" I irritatingly asked. Time is gold. Duh... I need cash.

He yawned. I chewed the inside of my mouth. Counting... trying to be patient.

"Marie Claire... patience is a virtue." I said aloud looking at the ceiling. Tapping my stiletto on the expensive carpet.

"What now?" I suppressed the urge to scream.

"You don't have clothes." He said quietly.

I raised my eyebrow. "My luggage is there, on my bed... You've seen me packed it awhile ago... So what are you doing standing...." My words trailed off when he walked past me.

"I'll wait for you at my car."

I gasped as the realization hit me. By the time I faced him I was just gaping at his back. He mockingly saluted me. He would let me... carry this.. big, heavy duffel bag? On my own?

I was staring at it helplessly. One big duffel bag. And a stroller.

Why, he's a gentleman!

I couldn't believe it for one sec. Now I'm regretting accepting his offer of being his servant. Surely... he'd be considerate. At this rate, I'm not YET under his employ.

My gorgeous self and pride couldn't take it.

I muttered an oath. Very unladylike. I pulled the bag and it went down heavily on the floor. Those were my dresses and make-up kits. I frustratedly kicked it.

I sighed.

"You're really going away?" I jumped to my feet, hearing that voice.

"Are you going to give me a heart attack?"

"I thought you're heartless?" He smiled. Then we stared at each other for minutes. We started laughing. I missed him. Being this close to him again was comforting.

"Laina... told me the news." I pouted unconsciously. One mannerism I hadn't contained until now. I lifted my shoulders daintily. I squatted on the floor meekly while he sat on the bed close to me.

"I bet, she's already spread the good news." I looked up at his face, laying my head on the bed. He whisked the locks of hair falling into my face. He twitched my nose.

"You can come with me." I almost choked with laughter. Exact words of Rave.

"Riel... I don't think that's a good idea. I owe you so much, not this one please." I raised my head a fraction to meet his eyes.

"Pumpkin... I..."

"Please... You're good at saving damsel in distress but..."

He sighed. "If ever you need me... I'm sorry about the last time. I've ruined that night by..."

My heart went out to him. Riel is Riel. He is... no was my knight in shining armor. Not now. I needed to stand on my own two feet. He was always there. I could see that he was masking his feelings. He didn't want to scare me away, again.

I cupped his cheek.

"You're the only family I have right now. Maybe if everything in my life isn't so... disorganized I might consider... having you..."

But why does my heart say otherwise?

"I just wanted you wholly. No past. No family scandals. No reputation can mar what we have for each other."

Truly? Riel is the epitome of the man I'd wished once upon a star. He'd accepted me, cared for me, respected and loved me despite the debris of my past and the reputation it had caused.

No words were needed, I just extended my arms and willingly engulfed myself to his embrace. He brushed my hair down my back, pulling me closer.

"You're important to me." I couldn't say much more because it's the truth. He adjusted me to fit in to his arms when something sparkling slipped out of his pocket. It was a thin chain of necklace.

"Riel... what was.." Surely, it wasn't...

"Oh... it was my mother's. Hanggang ngayon di ka pa rin nagsasanay magsalita ng tagalog." He tucked the silver chain back in his palm. He shrugged nonchalantly. Hell, I was getting paranoid again.

"I'll help you with your bags." I nodded when he carried it. He craned his neck back to wink at me.

And he is a gentleman! I noted.

I glanced for the last time at the elegant room that has been mine for almost a year. I switched off the light. I found myself knocking lightly at my father's library. I thought I had lost all respect to him the day my mother died. If she really died in the usual way.

I nudged the door soundlessly. Not locked. He was silently speaking to someone on the phone. Must be very confidential for him to use his private line. He hadn't noticed me in the semi-darkened room. He had a bottle of scotch on the desk. Drinking, huh?

I heard glimpse of his slurring words. Somewhat like 'don't go'. I arched my brow at the next coherent ones. Rehab? He was sputtering few expletives. If the press could only hear him talk sh*t like that, this would have been a sensational news.

I turned around to leave. There's no sense in saying goodbye.

"Don't. Blackmail. Me. S-he's dead.."

I froze in my tracks. Those were enough to chill my bones. Who's he talking to? Or rather, who's he referring to? Blackmail?

I took a couple of steps backward. I inhaled sharply when my leg hit something behind me.

"Who... are you?"

I slowly faced my... err, estranged father. I was about to open my mouth but did otherwise. How could I speak when a gun was pointed at me? By my own father?

I should be afraid. Very, very afraid... but luckily I'm not. I set my eyes on him. He looked like he aged ten years than his normal fifty. His smell was stinking that of a mixed odor of alcohol and women. He was tight-lipped. His stance was that of a desperate.

"Hello father... Irony, I've said hello instead of goodbye."

"What are you doing here? Aren't you leaving?" He still hadn't put the gun down which made me raised my brow.

"Well, if you'll allow us to part ways. Me, being your real daughter, coming out of here alive." I hoped the alcohol hadn't addled his brain that the word 'real' wasn't lost on him.

The gun wavered. Maybe for a minute he had the gall to remember that I'm still his daughter. Then he slumped on the swivel chair, covering his face with both hands. He was now shaking... crying, sorta like laughing hysterically with beads of.. tears?

"Get out! If you want to stay alive. Go away... away from here." He shouted.

I was nailed to the ground. My eyes widened. He was always composed. Not like this. Like he was mad. He wasn't really crying. It was a sound of anguish, a caged beast growling when hurt.

He threw the lamp at me. But it fell short of a few feet away from me. The word shock was an understatement.

I took a couple of steps backward and ran.

"Go back to the states!"

I was panting. I rushed out of the grand entryway just to see Rave leaning on his car. He was standing casually as if he owned the world. My feet scampered to where he was. I threw myself at him. He caught me by the arms.

I started hiccuping but no tears came out.