Chapter Ten

I screamed in horror. My throat was restricted, no voice came out for a second try. The water was red with my rose petals I've dreamed of earlier. Now it was a nightmare. The fresh chilling smell was lingering on the air. I was going to puke just by staring blindly at the lifeless body of a dog. God.

It was bathing with blood in my tub.

It suddenly turned around awashed by the running water from the faucet beside it.

I gasped and staggered backwards when I hit the sink behind me. I sagged on it, my hand touched something cold. Wet. I panicked it fell off the floor. I looked at my hand.

Blood.

I gaped at the thing that was full of blood. It was my shears. I then stared back at the animal, its throat had a slit. Damn. Damn.

As if in a dream I darted out of there with no thoughts in my head. I collided with somebody right on the entryway that I almost fainted.

"Maire..." It didn't sink in who he was. My mind wasn't just functioning. I'm going insane. I was a mass of nerves.

"What the hell happened?" He asked authoritatively. He saw that I wasn't fit to talk. Or to even answer questions. I was hiccuping but no tears were falling down. I was going to look back at the gruesome sight before me when he hugged me and covered my eyes immediately.

"Sssshhh... don't look." There was an edge in his voice. He was trained to see blood. Death. He carried me to the bed. Checked in on my body, my eyes. I circled my arms on my legs and rocked gently.

"Marie Claire!" All at once like in the movies, everybody was there. Crowding her. No. Not her, she wasn't the victim here. But the dog. Mamita's pomeranian. I heard her wail.

It was like I was seeing them but not really. Is this the feeling of going mad?

"What's happening?" Then Laina fainted. I heard father cursed rapidly.

"Are you okay?" Somebody caressed my back. I was still rocking back and forth.

"Love, please... talk to me. God. Who would have done this?"

"Don't pressure her. She's going to come around, it takes time."

"It's your damn fault! You're her bodyguard! You should have been protecting her." I heard a commotion. What else is new?

Shouting. Sniggering. Then I felt someone carried me again. I snaked my hand right up his nape. I snuggled on his chest and closed my eyes tight. I could see the blood. In my hands. No. No. I could hear the pumping of it. Or was it the beating of his heart? Then I fell into deep slumber.

I woke up breathing heavily. "Mom!" I called out. Then my eyes grew wide. I was in a different room. Where was I? The door opened suddenly.

"Maire... you're awake." He said softly.

"Who are you?" I moved out of his grasp when he was going to cup my cheek. He just sat there. Why, he's gorgeous. But where's mom? Shouldn't she be cooking dinner?

"Look at me. You're still in hysterics. You're trying to push at the back of your mind what's happening right now. You're willing yourself to forget. It's called running Maire." He looked at me. That dark gaze of his. So familiar. Then flashes of memories crept in.

"You were never a coward Maire." Brown eyes met Dark ones. Maire. There was only one person who called her that. Rave. I swallowed the lump in my throat, without a word I rushed into his arms as if asking for strength. He made me feel again. It was like forever. I looked up.

"Why are you frowning?" I touched the side of his face. There was a small bruise.

"Who did this to you?" I said not noticing the fierceness in my voice. He laughed and I scowled all the more.