Chapter 9: Playing Sherlock

Jade West's Point of View

I rub the blade, softly between the tips of two of my fingers. Feeling the metal on my skin, staring at the blissful Latina standing across the hallway. I study her, watching for any kind of sign. I need to see something, I need to know I'm not crazy.

She stands in her pink dress, looking very girlish today. Her eyes and ears are fixated on the little red head in front of her, who continues to chatter endlessly. Tori's eyes look tired, but everything about her is still perfect. Her outfit, her makeup, her whole presence. She holds her books in her arms, like a typical school girl who cares about her grades. Everything is almost too perfect about her.

She's hiding something though, and I think I know what it is. I don't want myself believing this though until I recieve some kind of actual proof. My little experiements at the hockey game gave me many reasons that my theory is not just a theory anymore, I just need to hear her say it to me. I want that direct confirmation from her.

"Jade?" Beck's voice stops my current thought, I look away from Tori to see him staring at me with raised eyebrows.

"Are you okay? You've been acting odd latley..." He tells me, placing his hand on my arm. His skin feels cold and rough making me step back from him so that his hand drops. I'm still very angry with him, I've just kept pretending that everything was alright so that he would stop calling me, begging for forgivness.

"I'm. Perfectly. Fine." I spit out each word as I glare at him, his eyebrows raise even further.

"Are you upset with me right now?" He asks me, sounding a bit gloomy about it. I sigh and realize i'm indeed being unfair.

"Sorry, i'm just...i'm frustrated at the moment." I tell him, closing my locker beside me and beginning to walk to my writing class. I take one last look at Beck and see his small wave goodbye, I wave back and go to class. I fortunatly have this class with Tori, so i'll be able to do some more investigating.

When I get to class, she isn't here yet so I sit in my normal seat, knowing she'll sit beside me like she always does. I take my pair of scissors from the waistband of my skirt, playing with the blades again. People stare, the freshman looking a bit frightened. I decide to have a little fun, smirking at some of them, freaking them out a bit. I chuckle and the bell rings, Tori running in at the last second. She sits down, her breathing a bit heavy.

"Why so late?" I smirk at her, making her chuckle.

"Cat, she had a hard time ending her story." Tori rolls her eyes, setting down her bag and grabbing her notebook. Her face is red, but she always seems to be blushing, so it's nothing new. I know she thinks I don't notice it, but I can't help but smirk each time.

Our teacher begins to lecture, reading some new poetry he discovered over the weekend. I admire my scissors, trying to entertain myself somehow. I look over at Tori and see her staring out of the window, obliviously twirling a strand of her hair. I watch her, wondering what she's thinking so deeply about. My eyes travel down her body, looking at her long legs that cross over each other. Her book bag sitting right beside her feet.

I'm about to look away, but I see a bit of color sticking out of her bag. It's a smaller book, the color of the book being a light rainbow, and a small "V" in the upper corner. I raise my eyebrows and realize i've seen it before. It was in Tori's room the night of the sleepover, I saw it on her pillow when I was getting dressed. I didn't think too much about it then, but now I realize what it is. It's her diary.

Her diary.

My mind doesn't even give me the time to decide or not, i'm already set on getting it in my hands. She would definatly have proof in that book, it would tell me if she's gay or not.