𝐈𝐈 | 𝐏𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐡𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭

"Oh I'll punish you for sure"- Athens

What I once considered peaceful was now a disaster.

Hostages were quivering in fear, while the gang raced around shrieking and cursing. Things had gotten ugly in a matter of seconds. Tokyo was the one to blame.

The only upside was that the police still believed that we had actually tried to leave. A little ray of hope in the dark cage. A little ray wasn't enough to feed us happiness.

From the hall, you could hear the yells from the control room above. Helsinki and Oslo were muttering to each other in Serbian.

I was as clueless as the hostages and I wanted to know what was happening.

What position we were in?
What the fuck would happen next?

We were 8 hours in the heist. And things weren't so lovely as I thought it would be.

It was 6:25 p.m. And soon clueless wives would be calling their husbands, checking if they would make it in time for dinner. And when she sat down with the kids,  turning on the evening news and saw that their husband's workplace was under attack.

How would they feel?
Would they cry?
Would they scream?

I wouldn't know, I had never been put in that sort of situation, but it makes a charming thing to wonder about, late at night.

The outside was buzzing with police cars and sirens as they set up their tents. It would have been a delightful sight to see, but I was a hostage and my mask was protection - guarding my true identity.

And anyways, imagining them was exactly the same thing. In a sense, we weren't exactly fully drowned, none of the gang's identity had been leaked, but slowly - slowly the water would start to seep in.

It was just a matter of time.

In all honesty, we had a lot of time, they needed to set up their tents, send a drone to find any pictures, set up the floor plans and just organize themselves while we lounged around inside.

The police definitely needed a pay rise. They would need the money to pay for therapy.

Daydreaming and reminiscing had suddenly become a habit of mine. There was no point trying to resist or make friends. So rediscovering moments I had filed away in my head was as entertaining as it was going to get for me.

This particular memory was a favourite amongst many.

We had been given a 30-minute break to do whatever we pleased. And in my case, reading in the fields under the sun was a nice option, before walking back inside and having to learn something mind-numbing;y boring and monotone.

...

I grabbed a book from the mantlepiece, where I kept my books, and tucked it under my shoulder, laying down in the grass.