Chapter 5.

I heard their soft whispers but was not able to hear what they were saying. Damn it, Jezebell!, I snarled to her through her mind link. Since mating my Beta, she became connected to the pack and is able to hold a mindlink. Mindlinking with humans entering the pack was usually incredibly difficult and took time to develop but with Jeze it was very unusual that she was able to gain understanding and knowledge of the mindlink so quick.

"Calm down our Almighty Alpha," she said mockingly, "I'm bringing her out right now we just had to talk geez." I could hear her shoes tap along with Jessie's small steps, as soft as a delicate ballerina. My ballerina, tiny dancer.

A growl warmed my chest in approval, my wolf and I making the acceptance of our mate vocal.

"Whipped," Josh coughed into his hand. "Sorry guys, I think I'm coming down with something." He smirked while the others chuckled. I glared at him but didn't say anything as I saw my Jessie come out from behind Jeze.

"Okay, so now I think we all need a formal greeting." Jeze smirked, then motioned to Jessie.

"Guys, this is Jessie, our future Luna. Jessie, this is Liam, the sick bastard who thought chasing after you would be fun. That is Josh, my mate and Liam's Beta, and thats Nick, third in command." She explained jokingly, pointing to each of the guys.

I looked at Jessie who was looking at Josh and Jeze with amused eyes until I cleared my throat and signaled to her my impatience. Jeze gently pushed Josh to the side. She stepped forward with Jessie and softly whispered, "Go meet your mate."

Jessie looked nervous and looked at Jeze who nodded towards her. She was right in front of me now, I wanted to cup her face in my palms. Finally feel her lips against mine, but she could not even look into my eyes.

God, I wanted everything, but she was human and needed to take things slow. I needed to have patience, which is something I always hated. But she was worth it, I would never want to make her uncomfortable, especially after fucking up in our first encounter.

Her eyes downcast, looking curiously down at her feet, "I'm sorry for running from you, Liam. Your everything was just too powerful, a-and it was a little terrifying, to be honest." She softly spoke.

I cupped her face in my hands and made her look up at me.

I smiled, she was so beautiful. It was this moment that I knew I could never get tired of looking into her eyes for the rest of my life, my mate was just perfection. The most beautiful woman I had ever touched, delicate in my arms.

Along with this delicacy, I saw the hesitation and timidness in her face. Shy, I chuckled to myself and my wolf, ironic for an Alpha's mate, also human. More the reason I needed to be delicate with her.

"No, no, that's alright." I cooed to her and left on hand to cup her face while the other moved a stray hair out of her face, a better view to imprint in my mind forever. "I apologize for scaring you, my little mate. I just got over-excited about finally meeting my mate. Shall we get you to class?" I asked, holding my arm out for her to take. She smiled and took my arm. I led her to her class, after looking at the time and determining it was the middle of second period.

I felt Jessie shrink behind me as we walked in quite late. I sent Mr. Quinns a glare.

"And who is this?" He asked turning his attention to my mate, now all eyes were on her.

I did not need to look at her to feel her unease at the judgemental spotlight.

I gave a low warning growl to the class, they turned back to their work trying not to be as obvious in their eavesdropping. I huffed out in annoyance, my mate has to be comfortable at all times, no one should make her feel less than happy or content. "This is Jessie Campbell, she's new to the school." I told Mr. Quinns.

"Okay, please take a seat in any open desk, Jessie." He told her dismissively.

I huffed when she started to walk away from me and pulled her back to me. I did not want to say goodbye but needed to for now, until I could possibly adjust our schedules to be better suited for a newly mated couple.

I gave her a hug and a kiss to the forehead, while slowly taking her scent in again before I had to leave her for an hour.

She looked flustered and moved away quickly into the room. I wanted to growl at those whispering but I couldn't, there were too many humans in this class. I headed out of the classroom and into the direction of mine, wanting to run back and steal her away for the day. But now, I needed to hold myself together, keep my wolf at bay and try not to kill anyone.

~

As I sat down in my chair, I started to in my head go over my newly found information. Jeze said that the reason I didn't twist* (explanation at end) fully was because no one was there to guide me but she will.

I don't have a family, biologically that is, that I could relay all this information to. I was found washed up on the west coast when I was rough;y two months old, I was talked about on the news for a long time, news stations and police hoping to find out who my birth parents were and how the hell I ended up there. The people who found me wanted to adopt me but it was always presumed I wouldn't live very long but now here I am 17 years later. So the family that took me in, my loving family, were first in line to adopt me when the news that I would live resurfaced.

It was a miracle said all the reporters. I understood when I turned 14 because that was when I got my scales. My tail never came when it was supposed to. I had to wear long sleeves everyday of the 8th grade until I learned how to hide them.

Alone.

The intimidation I feel in the presence of many supernatural creatures is frightening, I had never been able to distinguish the difference between a human and supernatural because I was not aware that there were so many different species in the world aside from human. I have met many people in my life that had an aura that felt wolf, as I can now distinguish. Thinking back, I have managed to meet many different species, just never truly knowing why they seemed different.

I shuddered thinking about how messy my life is about to get, my plans are likely not going to pull through but that is life. We cannot try to plan everything, and fate basically handed me my ass for trying.

I wanted to curl into Liam and have him put his arms around me. I think I could like him. But as of right now I needed to focus. God, I am turning into a hoe, we just met.

My focus on school was tough, especially when all I could think about was the way his smell rubbed into my jacket, lingering.

He must have been wearing an amazing cologne... I was always weak-kneed at the passing of a man who smelled good.

Focus.

One question before I thought up a storm.

What should I focus on?

A/N: If you didn't know she's a mermaid

*To twist is to grow your tail out completely; to transform into a mermaid. Basically how a werewolf shifts into their form, a mermaid twists into their form.

This is my book and I want to create a vocabulary that is not just saying someone "shifted." Werewolves shift, mermaids twist, and vampires are bitten. There transformations are all different and cannot/ should not all be categorized as shifting.