Chapter 4.

I heard the short taps of shoes coming towards my stall and I tensed, I had a feeling that guy would tell someone I wasn't going to my classes and would be forced to get out of the locker room, forced to see him.

But in all honesty, he scared me. I could feel him radiating power and dominance, those were two qualities I tried to avoid. Handsome or not, I had a plan to stick to that especially did not involve cute boys. Cute boy with very nice arms that felt very goo-

NO, no boys.

I smacked my forehead.

There was a knock on my stall door. I saw black flats at the bottom of the door, "Jessie? Can you please come out? I'd like to meet you." A softer voice asked. She also had power on her, and it was not to be messed with. I had to concentrate for a second on her for a second before I could calm down enough to unlock the door.

I slowly opened the door and saw a girl a few inches shorter than me. She had dark brown almost black eyes, large red lips, dark brown hair that went just a little past her shoulders. Her eyelashes were very dark making her eyes look intimidating.

Her red lips curved in a small smile. "Hello, I'm Jezebell but you can call me Jeze," She chuckled a bit when I took a moment gaping at her instead of answering.

I smiled shyly and looked at my shoes, "I'm Jessie, I uh just moved here from Hawaii." I looked up to see her shocked expression, eh it's probably because my skin isn't really tan.

"This must be such a big change, especially when a whole bunch of stupid testosterone filled boys block you in a corner of the school!" She yelled the last part out slightly towards the door. I smiled when I heard a whine from the guys she was talking about. She rolled her eyes, "Boys." She mouthed to me.

I giggled. She smiled, "Come, let's sit," She put her arm on my shoulders in a comforting way and led us further into the locker room. She then kept going to open up the door to the Coach's office.

She opened the door and I freaked out, "But students can't go in here," I said before she pulled me in. I still restrained but for a small person, she was very strong.

"You'll find that this school is different than a normal school," she simply replied. This made me chuckle nervously.

What did she mean about this school being different? It looked to be as basic as a school could be. What was wrong with this school?

She laughed. I looked up her nervously.

"Most of this school is members of the pack. Also, Liam's dad, the Alpha, is one of the schools biggest patrons and almost every teacher here is a werewolf, and I am the future Beta Female of the pack." She said as she got two pieces of licorice from the desk, she handed me the other.

I hesitantly took it, who am I to deny myself licorice? One another note, what the fuck.

Okay, so this school is definitely different in that everyone here is crazy. Oh my god, my mother enrolled me in a mental institution.

"Okay, so you're a werewolf?" I asked, squirming slightly and trying not to sound too condescending. Her laughter filled the office as she sat me on the couch.

"No, I almost wish but no, my mate is. He's the Beta of the pack." She replied softly. She looked me in the eye, "I'm like you." She said giving me a knowing look.

I tensed, she could not mean what I thought she meant. Maybe I am insane. I knew I was different, I found that when I mentioned my ability to sense a person's persona that that was not a normal trait people had, just me. Then when I turned twelve, I found I did not need to breathe under water. But I knew upon that discovery it was better to keep it to myself. I figured the scales that came later had something to do with it.

But never in my life would I have thought werewolves were real. And this was my first time meeting someone who said they were like me.

Maybe she thinks I am some kind of wolf hybrid.

No, I was just a fish out of water, no one was like me.

Or so I thought.

Or maybe she was just messing with me trying to get me to confessing something embarrassing and out myself, then she will tell the school and I'll be the new, weird girl. I was planning on just being the ignored girl who gets into the Top 10 out of nowhere.

"I-I don't know what you're talking about-." I started but she cut me off.

"It's alright, you're not crazy, this is normal." She spoke softly and patted my hand, she smiled, "Breath Jessie."

"I am sorry but I do not know what you mean, Jezebell. I appreciate the talk but I really have to get going to class. Thanks aga-."

"Jessie, sit down," She ordered, and my butt immediately met the seat once more. "I know this is all new to you but you have to trust me. I know what you are, because we are the same species and I have a lot to explain to you before you leave out those doors. Please just get comfortable."

She then went to the minifridge and pulled out a juice pouch for me. She handed it to me and began. "You are a mermaid, I do not know if you have ever put that label on it but that is what you are. There is no denying it, I know another one of my species when I smell one." She went on to explain how she got here to Alaska. The pull of the mate bond kept gnawing at her to come here.

I exhaled the breath I didn't realize I was holding, and with it questions flew out of my mouth. "Does your mate know?" I asked "Are there others here? Is your family like us?" I just spilled out.

"Whoa, whoa whoa, hold on there little one, one question at a time." She said, laughing.

I shook my head. This was a lot to take in.

"My mate is not aware of what I am, no. As for the other question, I have only met five well now six others like us. Four of them are now deceased but the other is currently traveling to Australia because there might be thirty or so more left. My family is my mate, he is all I have in the sense of family but clan wise I have only two. We are pretty much extinct unless we can find others." She stated in a calm but pitiful tone.

"What happened to the others?" I asked quietly.

"Humans. They think we are to be observed for they're studies, traitors of our race in a great internal war would sell their friends to research facilities. Plenty of money was exchanged and in the end humans tortured them to find more of us so they could make things from us. It's why we hide far from humans but I could smell you the moment I got in here. But trust me you are safe, I will not let another life of ours be lost." She said taking my shoulders making me look into her tearing eyes which were now green.

"I promise." I whispered, not exactly knowing what to saw. She was younger than me but it seemed her life was an endless pit of horror that had seen nothing but death.