Chapter 3.

She was running.

My mate, the love of my life, my Luna, my future has run from me. The one who is meant to protect and love her all of our lives'.

I was crushed while my wolf howling with angst, trying to hide how hurt he was. My anger was soon replaced with disappointment, to be mated to an Alpha of a strong pack is a complete honor. She doesn't know, calm down, she doesn't know, I kept reminding myself.

"Get her," I sneered at my pack members. I would not be evaded and she would have no opportunity to leave if I had help herding her to me.

They immediately disbursed and ran in all directions to block her in. I could hear her running just at the end of the hall at the school exit.

You won't be able to get away from me that easily little mate, my wolf purred in my head. Upon hearing this, I stopped cold and was briefly concerned for her safety because I knew my wolf had a temper and could easily lash out on her by accident.

He bristled his fur at me lightly. You think I would ever hurt her? I would rather chop off my limbs and give them to her if I so much as look at her in the wrong manner.

Understood.

Ditto.

"Alpha, we have a small problem." Josh said coming down the hall. "She ran into the girls locker room and we cannot get her out." He cringed at the growl that erupted from my chest.

"But, it' okay because we have someone who might be able to. The Beta Female and Nicole might be able to. My girl, Brianna told me she saw Nicole talking to her this morning before you got here." Nathan quickly tried to diffuse the situation.

"No, I don't want Nicole to know about this. Just ask your mate first if she declines you then we'll ask Nicole but otherwise don't tell my sister anything." I warned Josh.

"Okay, come on lets go find my little mate, she's in Pre-Cal right now."

~

"Hey, Jeze, what up?" I faintly heard my friend Lana ask. "You look sad," she commented.

I didn't want her to worry so I just answered, "Nah, I'm alright, you know, rough morning," I shrugged it off with a smile. She smiled back.

"Just as long as I know my future Beta is okay." She hugged me, which towered over me. I was sitting and she was standing, but also I was shorter.

I sighed, and took my seat in the back row of my math class. I sit and wait for my teacher to start. But as class started and we were taking notes while I blocked out Josh to keep track of my notes, he and Liam came through the door.

"May I ask what you are doing, inturrupting my class?" Mr. Davids asked in a joking tone.

He was a fun and sarcastic teacher who loved to tease the students. Fun at time but also sometimes uncomfortably awkward.

Liam just glared at him then turned to me with his piercing black eyes "Jezebell is needed in the office at the moment." Liam spoke to Mr. Davids but looked at me fiercely, daring me to refuse his request.

Part of me wanted to hiss back at him and show him what I am made of, but I remembered that he does not know what I am and I had to keep it from them until necessary.

Josh gave him a look which he didn't see, Please, love, we need your help. He gave me his puppy-eyes and I felt my building argument dissipate.

I rolled my eyes and looked at Liam who had an eyebrow up as if daring me to refuse him. I nodded and gathered my things, knowing it was likely I would not be returning to this class today.

"So what did you guys need me for? I swear if you guys make me miss important notes for something stupid I am going to kill you." I snickered, trying to remain as neutral as possible as we neared the girls locker room. Josh was tense and made a signal at me to not joke.

"I found my mate." He said in a stern, irritated tone. My eyebrow raised, not what I was expecting at all from the friend I have come to love, he was upset by this. I had seen the looks he gave Josh and I when he thought we weren't looking, envious and sad. He wanted his mate, so the problem? She was not here, but I could hear a rapid heartbeat in the locker room, an unfamiliar sound. Unfamiliar in wolf territory but not my own.

"So, you want me to get her out of a bathroom for you?" I asked, wearily pulling the straps of my bag higher up my arms.

"Yes, so go. She's in the locker room," he tried to order me with a light shove towards the entrance.

I took a whiff of the scent dangling from his arms and now coating the entrance, and was taken even more off guard. I had a suspicion but now it is more confirmed.

I know that scent, I live with that scent. I immediately felt protective over this young one, my own species. A dying species.

That made me snap. I turned back to him, "Liam! I will not do that!" I was more protective of the mate of this brute.

His eyes turned a shade darker and Josh paled, not knowing just how well I could defend myself against his Alpha. He took a step towards me, "You will respect me, little girl!" He darkly growled in my face.

Men can be so demeaning at times. I rolled my eyes, not shuddering at the command in his voice, which threw Josh off guard as he had shuddered from the command.

"I can see why she ran from you, Liam, you are being a huge ass right now." I said slowly and with venom in my voice, I saw hurt in his eyes but he needed a slap in the face. No mate wanted to be scared into submission.

He needed to see that a mate is not something to be played with.

"What's her name?" I inquired before I went inside.

"Jessie," he replied softly his eyes finally back to their normal color.

"Jessie," I smiled to myself, simple and sweet. Here goes nothing.

Time to meet another one of my species, a dying race, to be mated to a wolf.