⭐️ Chapter 15 ~ Butterflies

Song of the chapter: B.o.B ft. Hayley Williams ; Airplanes.

(Actually have a look at this song cause it matches the chapter pretty perfectly!)

"They say that if your intentions are pure enough, the fountain could grant any wish you make."

*~*~*

Chapter 15 ~ Butterflies

~~Alexa's POV~~

"Damn these shoes," I mentally cried as I huffed and tugged in an effort to get the heel out from the hole it managed to get clogged in.

But, the shoes weren't all to blame. The fact that I had literally galloped down the gravelled footpath, at night, with the headlights emitting nothing but a faint glow that was probably how I had gotten myself into this mess in the first place.

It wasn't all me... I had to go... to the one place I knew I would be safe - Tyke Fountain. Ever since I was 3 feet tall, when I had a problem with mum, or a bad day at school I would always find myself at the fountain to make a wish. To make a wish that everything would get better, that my mom would stop yelling or the bitches at school would stop...bitching. This place was my sanctuary.

But I just had to get myself stuck.

"Let go!" I pointed an accusing finger at the earth bellow. It was bad enough that to meet Jes-him... I had to meet him, but now Mother Nature had a bone to pick with me too.

It would have been a tad bit of a childish response but I started to cry. The tears, hot but silent ran down my cheek onto the gravel below.

Brushing them away, I gave it one last tug. To my surprise it came lose. Perhaps, Mother Nature finally felt pity on my poor soul... or I just had to succumb to my emotions a bit more.

I didn't bother to run the rest of the way. I walked. My arms hugged me, in an attempt to shield myself from the cold. Not that it would do much good with the flimsy getup I had on. My dress was dragging along the dirty pathway, picking up mud along the way.

I didn't stop until the legendary fountain loomed in front of me. A beautiful piece it was too. Crystal-like drops sprayed from an ivory vase that was held by a Goddess herself. At least, that's what I thought it was. I don't really know of any which had fins instead of feet, but the face was still human and was far too delicate to be anything else.

I collapsed on the floor, not bothering with the fountain's ledge and tried to blink the tears away.

It has been awhile since I last cried. The last time was the first time I ran away from Jessie. Oh how history was so keen to repeat itself.

I didn't hesitate to rip off the mask, it was getting itchy with all the tears. With an angry grunt, I tossed it into the bushes ahead. Then stuffed my red-hot face and the tears into my hands and sobbed

Stupid stupid stupid... of course it had to be him of all people...

My mind flicked back to when I let the mask slip... damn... a spider? Seriously Alexa? Is that the best you could've thought of? What had I been thinking? Of course, he would know it was a fluke and then he might... damn... he might try to find me!

At the terrifying thought my eyes darted around the gloomy scene.

"How are you holding up?" Asked a deep quiet voice.

My squeak was met with the rich sound of laugher as I swirled around to find James sitting against the ledge, this figure acting as a barrier against the bright moon leaving me in shadows.