⭐ Chapter 22 ~ Scandalous Shopping

Chapter 22 ~ Scandalous Shopping

"I swear this is all just one big misunderstanding." I insisted as I pulled my hand against the cuff links that chained me to the table leg, "you're making a mistake."

"That's what my wife said when we exchanged vows at the alter 40 years ago." the security officer grumbled.

It was an as I opened my mouth again to stand my case the office doors barged open and James sighed, "Alright what did my sister do again this time?"

"Hey!" I protested, only to be immediately rebuffed with a look from James.

"Are you her brother?" The officer inquired, who responded with a quick nod and I muttered "Adopted."

"Well she was caught shop lifting a wallet at one of the stores."

"I already told you! It was an accident!"

James gave me another look that was easily interpreted at 'quiet, or I'm leaving you with the donut lover' before exclaiming, "Is that an Elex 200?" Pointing at the guard's belt.

The guard, surprised by his sudden question replied, "Why yes...yes it is."

"Wow! Our uncle was a cop back in Australia and we know that one has to be very strong to handle such a powerful tool." James buttered to the officer, who immediately went red.

"Oh it's not that hard to handle." The officer stammered as he took out the taser and gave it a twirl.

"Well, it's still very impressive." James soothed. "Anyways, in all seriousness, I'm honestly sorry for my sister's offence." He turned the officer around and ushered him closer to whisper to him but till spoke loud enough for me to hear. "You see, it's Christmas and there's this boy at school."

The officer nodded, knowingly and urged him to continue.

"I personally don't like him very much but she's head over heel in love with this guy." James aspirated. "She's already pretty delusional and clumsy, but add an unrequited love into the mix and she's just a mess. I promise you what she did was completely unintentional; she's just a kid blinded by love.

"Ah, poor child. Young love does make you do crazy things." The officer gave a deep laugh as they turned back around to face me. "I recall this one instance where I did something silly for my love that landed me a day in the slammer." He laughed remising of a time long past the old memories as with a click, he unlocked my cuff.

While I rubbed my sore wrist, he went on about how his wife and he would stay out past curfew time and sneak into amusement parks. I signalled to James that we needed to get going, pulling on his sleeve a few times and finally after what seemed like forever, the officer finished the last of his many, many, many stories on 'the good old days', and we walked out of the police station.

"I'm still waiting for a thank you." James smirked looking down at me as we reached the street.

"Thank you..." I grumbled.

"I'd appreciate a little more enthusiasm considering I just bailed your ass out of jail." He laughed.

"I said thank you ok!" I huffed only to receive a snicker from James. Looking at my watch I came to the realization that it was late noon and the sky was glazed in hues of orange and pink, "Dammit."

"What's wrong?"

"All this trouble and I still haven't gotten Jessie anything," I sighed. "Christmas Eve is tomorrow and it's nearly closing time!"

"Don't worry, I'm sure you find something." James laughed loudly.

I had been wondering around for hours now, going from shop to shop, aisle to aisle and yet, I still had no remote idea on what to get him. Nothing seemed...right.