13 | 𝑏𝑖𝑟𝑡ℎ𝑑𝑎𝑦

July 4th, 2023

"Wake up, Stevie," Bucky mumbles softly to the birthday boy's ear, in the sweetest attempt to pull his best friend from his deep slumber. Steve only responded in a weak moan, obviously not ready to leave his dream.

Although it was quite very tempting, Bucky tried his very best not to kiss his friend awake.

A couple of days prior to Steve's birthday, the brunette had been lost in his thoughts, debating on which stuff would be the best birthday gift to Steve. After days and days of thinking and crying and contemplating on his life, he decided to bake a birthday cake for him.

-

Few days earlier

"Bucky, you're messing things up," Sam groans in dismay as he watches Bucky trying to mix ingredients together. Sam had allowed Bucky, and only Bucky to stay in his house for a while to bake a surprise birthday cake for his Stevie.

"What are you talking about?" Bucky eyes the bird man, raising a brow in confusion. "I've been following the steps correctly."

And he has his soldier abilities to thank for that.

"That's not what I meant," Sam deadpanned. "The whole kitchen is a fucking mess, Buck. You'll be cleaning all of this. I ain't helping you."

"Jeez, can't you consider I'm doing this for Steve?" Bucky replies, holding back the Stevie from his mouth. "And since when did you become so bossy?"

Sam ignores the question, rolling his eyes. "Are you sure that's the only thing you're giving to Steve?" Sam didn't want to give any hints to Bucky that Steve does like him back, since he respects Steve's wishes and knows it's more appropriate for Steve to tell Bucky about it himself.

"I honestly wish I could give him more...he deserves everything," Bucky sighs in reply. "But I couldn't think of anything else to give him."

"Come on, gifts aren't that hard to think of!" Sam nudges him in encouragement. "Think—what did you use to buy for his birthday?"

Bucky looks down, thinking about it thoroughly. "Just sketchbooks and new pencils," he finally responds. "We didn't had enough money back then, and we were financially struggling; especially after Steve's mom died. We usually go to Coney Island, but we've already been there just recently."

"Come to think of it, a new sketchbook wouldn't be so bad," Sam suggests, but Bucky dismisses the idea.

"He's been receiving sketchbooks all his life," he sighs. "I'm pretty sure he's tired of getting the same gift every birthday."

"Well, that's a bummer then."

"Yeah, it is," Bucky mumbles sadly. "I'm a terrible friend. He deserves so much more."

Sam could only watch him work on his cake. Oh, God, Steve. I hope you tell him soon.

-

Steve could barely even keep his eyes awake. He'd been up all night with Bucky stuck in his thoughts. Ever since this whole romance stuff happened, he had been receiving flashbacks of him and Bucky when they were much younger in the old times.