2 | 𝑠𝑡𝑒𝑣𝑒...

It couldn't be. It's just...hallucinations, right?

Maybe it just sounded like him, but it wasn't him. His voice can be similar to any masculine voice. But when Bucky turns around to see where the voice belonged to, he couldn't believe his eyes.

Tall, blond, blue eyes. The biceps were still big and palpable. The American figure. The symbol of patriotism. The man who was once a skinny boy who didn't want to clean up with his little red wagon.

Steve.

Bucky wanted to cry. It wasn't entirely relief and happiness. It was a mixture of sadness, guilt and pain with an ounce of bliss. His eyes trailed down to his fingers. There wasn't a shiny gold ring sparkling on any of his ring fingers. It could only mean one thing.

He didn't marry Peggy Carter.

The tall brunette still hasn't answered his questions. For instance, he wasn't okay. Despite all the love he has for his best friend, it was now even more painful that he's here.

He could still see Peggy in his shadows. In his eyes. He can feel Peggy's presence around him despite Peggy being dead at that point. At any moment, he can still go back and make changes without ruining anything.

So, instead of hugging him tight, he forces a phrase.

"Yeah, I'm okay."

Bucky was a good liar to everyone. But Steve wasn't part of that 'everyone.' He isn't buying any one of his lies. Which was unfortunate for Bucky right now. He didn't want to admit everything he feels.

"Bucky, I swear even a drunk Tony can't buy that lie." He crosses his arms. No, not that face, Bucky thought. It's that tell-me-everything-or-I'll-force-that-truth-off-your-throat look.

"Steve, Tony's dead."

Steve manages to smirk. "So you're not gonna tell me anything?"

Bucky ignored the question. Steve frowned.

"Buck, I can see something's wrong. You can tell me."

He remains silent.

"'Till the end of the line, right?"

If only he could also see the pain.