Chapter Thirty-Three - The Reassurances

"Okay, walk us through it." Happy said, both of them setting their attention back on Clara.

"It's illusion tech, right? Peter, when Beck was pushing you towards the tracks, I saw everything from the outside; you could still see the drones and the image was just a kind of blue pixilation." She explained, recalling how she had seen the inner workings of the optical illusion. "I think if you get inside the illusion, it'll be the same. Then you'll be able to disable the drones - or at least enough to show everyone the truth."

Peter nodded, understanding what he had to do. "Right, and when I get past it, I can find Beck. And he's just a guy so I can take E.D.I.T.H. right back."

"Right - but last time you got hit by a train." Happy interjected.

"True, but this time – How do I explain this? Uh... I have this sort of sixth sense-"

"The Peter-tingle." Happy nodded enthusiastically. "That's what you're talking about, right?" Clara snickered lightly, looking between the two, Peter's expression appearing very unimpressed. "It's not working though. I heard it wasn't working right now?"

Peter almost scoffed - though, it was true, he knew that. "It is working. Well, I don't know if-"

"Good, okay; so, you've got the Peter-tingle. That's the plan." Happy told him, interrupting. "We're going to go and get your friends, you get that Peter-tingle back online." With that, Happy walked back to the cockpit, giving Clara a thumbs-up on the way.

"I got this." Peter repeated to himself again.

Clara stepped over hesitantly, keeping her distance from the still-whirring machine, and taking it one step at a time to make sure it wouldn't cut out on them. "You have." She agreed reassuringly. "Don't worry about it."

"Easier said then done." Peter smiled shyly. "Are you gonna be alright?"

Clara fund herself blushing again at the words and quickly looked away, turning her attention back to her hands. "I think so. What can go wrong, right?"

Peter didn't respond. Instead, he just kept looking at her, watching the blush spread across her cheeks at. He placed his right hand delicately on Clara's left forearm, his grip lightly brushing down her arm until he reached her hand.

Clara closed her eyes, doing everything she could to control her pounding heart and stop the machines around them malfunctioning. "Promise me you'll be okay." He asked her, his voice barely a whisper.

Clara was taking off guard  by yhe sorrowful voice, and she peered up at its source. "You know neither of us can promise that." The softness of her own voice matched his, a sadness growing behind his eyes that made it seem as though this was the last time they would see eachother.

"Five minutes!" Happy called out, Clara turning from the sudden noise with a start, her hand leaving Peter's grip. The boy reluctantly went back to working on his suit, watching the machine placing the final details of the eye mechanics and spider detail on the chest.

When Clara turned back, she watched the suit forming alongside him, Peter's design becoming the real thing. "You got rid of the blue." She commented.

"Yeah." He stated simply.

"I like it." Clara smiled. "The black looks more... mature, I think."

Peter's lips twitched into a subtle grin. "Yeah?"

"Mhmm." She hummed. They fell into a silence again, listening to the whirr of the machine. Clara started to think about feeling of butterflies in her stomach, wondering if Peter was feeling the same – and not just from the nerves about the fight. She remembered what he had asked of Happy moments earlier. "Peter?"

He quickly turned to face her. "Yeah?"

"How come you're giving the necklace to your aunt?"

Clara watched his facial features morph between different expressions as he his mind tried to think of what to say. "Well, er, I-"

How could he have been so stupid? Clara had obviously wanted Peter yo give her the neckless - especially after what happened back in the Netherlands.

Clara let a mischievous grin break across her face as he stuttered. "I'm just asking because I thought you were going to give it to Ned, that's all."

Peter didn't look like he knew what to do with his expression, and it stayed stuck in a look of shock for a few moments before he let out a snort of laughter, Clara joining in with a light chuckle. "Alright." Happy said, bringing their laughter to an abrupt close. "Clara, you come up front with me and strap yourself in. Peter – You ready?"

Peter nodded, looking at the now complete suit inside the machine. Clara gave him a reassuring smile and turned to walk to the front of the jet, not allowing herself another glance behind her as she lowered herself into the seat.

If there was any justice left in the world, Peter would have been able to speak to Clara about what had happened between them; he would have been able to tell her that he felt the same way. It would never be that easy though, and both of the students knew that the only way they could have that conversation was if they survived the oncoming battle - and God knows they are going to try their damnedest.

Peter called out, stopping Happy in his tracks before he had gotten to the cockpit. "Happy, please make sure she-"

Happy interrupted him, Clara not hearing the quick exchange from her position on the jet. "I will, Peter. I'll try."

Please comment and vote - It lets me know a you're enjoying it!