Chapter Forty-One - The End of the Beginning

Clara blinked back at the woman, who she now knew as Jemma Simmons, in shock. "Sorry, what?"

"I understand this may be confusing for you, so allow me to explain," she began, still holding a gentle smile. "You were struck by a small piece of shrapnel while fighting on Tower Bridge. Spider-Man was able to contact Happy Hogan in time for Fury to send a rescue team - in this case, us.'

"Is-" She cut herself off just before the name was spoken, her still slightly foggy and highly concerned mind nearly letting the greatest secret she's ever known to slip out. "Is Spider-Man okay?"

"He's doing well," Jemma nodded. "A few scratches here and there, nothing that hasn't already healed." Clara let out a small breath at the news, relieved to hear that had been the case. Believing Clara had asked the only question she was in a rush to know, Simmons continued, "we brought you aboard Zephyr One in order to give you access to the Healing Pod," she gestured to the strange tube Clara had woken up in. 

"Healing Pod?" Clara asked with a raised eyebrow, she had never seen or heard of technology like that. She knew S.H.I.E.L.D was working to develop new technology for field work, but rumour would have spread with something as major as that. 

"It's alien tech," Simmons told her in an overdramatic stage whisper, accompanying the words with a wink. 

"You used alien tech on me?" Clara gaped, looking from her to the device. "That's- You can't do that! Can you do that?" 

"Well, you likely would have died if we hadn't, so take that as you will," she said, her smile still showing her good faith. "There was just one issue with bringing you aboard," she frowned, as if she still didn't understand something herself. 

"There was?" Clara asked timidly.

"While you were recovering in the Pod, our tech kept failing," she informed Clara, who grimaced in response. "Spider-Man was quick to let us know of your inhuman abilities, but not before a hundred-foot drop mid-flight."

"Sorry," she looked down to her hands, completely ordinary now, but she knew she must have been reacting to the alien tech they were using. 

"No need to apologise," Simmons reassured her. "We moved you in there to prevent it happening again. The room's made from poly-tectic adaptive materials. Each module can be customized, so, you're safe in there, and we're safe from you. We'll let you out once we're sure your condition has stabilised. For now, however, I'm afraid you'll have to stay for a little while longer."

"Okay," Clara nodded. Realistically, she didn't have a choice in the matter, so arguing would be pointless. She'd just have to wait a while to see Peter and her parents. 

But not too long for the former, it would appear, Peter speeding into the room, still dressed head-to-toe in his suit. Simmons jumped with a start, spinning to face the intruder as the door slid open. "Clara?" Peter asked, looking between her and Jemma. 

Jemma nodded, a small smile playing on her lips, one she was clearly trying to hide. "I'll be back later to check on your progress." She left the room, leaving Peter and Clara separated by the panel of glass.

"Don't!" Clara warned him as he tugged the mask from over his head. Peter couldn't help but notice how strange it felt hiding his face from Clara.

"It's fine," Peter said, his expression full of concern. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, but Peter, there are cameras," Clara told him, wondering why he was so open about showing his identity. 

"It's fine, Clara, they're S.H.I.E.L.D.," he waved her off.