(18) Painful Pinky Promises

HNO (18)

(Melody POV)

I never knew that. The fact that he was meant to protect me. Yet, he was the one who managed to hurt me more than any paparazzi or rude fans could.

Every time I look at him, I only think of the lies he told me and the way he played me. I mean, I should move on, but part of me still wants to hang on to him and hope that the old kid that I knew before he moved out here. Before he met all these A-listers. Before he turned into the heartbreak.

Memory

"Promise me you will never break a girl's heart," I ask Jake as we sit in our tree house and I flipped through the random magazines that we stole from our parents. It was the latest issues about the heartbreaks in Hollywood recently.

"I'll never break your heart," he responds. Him already being 8, a year older than me, was already beginning to be exposed to the reality of love and heart throbs.

"No, any girl. Promise me."

"I don't want any girl besides you."

"Cut it with the mushy crap. You're too much in that love stuff. Ick!"

Jake chuckles and just sticks out his pinky.

"I, Jake Reed, promise never to break a girl's heart." We pinky promise it and I actually thought that our pinkies were binding the world of our humanity together and breaking it was punishable by law.

End of Memory

But it wasn't it. Breaking the pinky promise simply didn't punish you, it punished the person you promised to. It let them down and simply... broke their heart along with the trust they had for you.

Pinky promises.

The small thing that meant so many things to our dear childish ways. Something that meant the world, yet could easily be destroyed.

I went to the practice room and sat in the window seal. I watched as the waves drew in on the coast and careless kids ran around without a 2nd thought. I sighed and pulled out one of the cameras that was left in here the last time I recorded.

I set up the camera and sit in front of it then press record.

"So, hum, hi." I say becoming super shy. "Recently, the identity of the hidden singer has been revealed. And that's me!!! So hum, I am doing, in a way, an organized 'Ask' video, so let's begin."

I start scrolling through some questions on my twitter ignoring the hate comments.

"'What am I doing spending the summer with Jake Reed?' Well, I used to be best friends with Jake before he moved out here, and our parents wanted us to spend the summer together so that we could see each other again.

'Does Jake approve of you and Taylor dating?' Honestly, I don't care. I mean, I want to be able to date who I want. I don't tell Jake who he should and shouldn't date, so he shouldn't tell me.

'What got you into singing?' Well, my cousin was my best friend growing up and she was an amazing singer. She taught me how to use many different instruments and control my voice. I never thought about even revealing that I was the person behind the videos, but fate took a turn and now you guys know.

'Are you and Jake dating?' What kind of question is that? No. We just know each other. We were good friends.

'If Taylor and you ever broke up, would you date Jake?' No. Simple as that. Never. I don't like him...like that.