Chapter 5 - Secrets - Part 3

A/N: Please, as this chapter is longer, it would mean a lot to me if you all commented as you read. Literally, spam my comment section. I want to know every thought, every reaction. It would make my day. No, it would make my year. 

CAMI:

There were mixed signals in the air. As I stared at myself in the mirror, I tried to imagine myself through Harry’s eyes. It was hard, though. Personally, I could only spot my dark thick eyebrows, and the way one of my teeth was a bit crooked. Even my neck seemed too short.

What had he seen in me? Before all the lies, he’d seen something in me—something I didn’t know if I had anymore.

“Cami?” Harry called and knocked on the door.

“Just a minute,” I said and zipped up my dress. The saleswoman had insisted on a pair of black heels to go with the dress, and I eyes them with caution. After having to pose as Ludmilla, I’d somewhat mastered the art of walking in high heels, but even these were a bit extreme for me.

Nevertheless, the show must go on. I sighed and sat down on the bed. My clothes were neatly folded behind me. Harry had assigned me this room to change in since it had a private bathroom. I checked my makeup and ruffled my hair, checking my reflection one last time. It wouldn’t get any better than this now. 

Walking out of the door, I almost walked head first into Harry’s chest. “Whoa,” I said.

“Sorry about that.” He held up my phone. “This wouldn’t stop ringing.”

With a small smile, I took it only to see Ludmilla’s name flashing on the screen. “Yeah,” I answered.

“Are you going tonight?” she asked.

I rolled my eyes. “Of course,” I said. “Got an official call from Mr. Larsson’s assistant.”

“Is Harry going with you then?”

Looking up, I saw Harry send me a curious glance. I turned my back to him. “Yeah, he is.”

“That’s good.” I could hear her let out a breath.

“It’s weird,” I said. “He hasn’t contacted me directly yet.”

“Really?” Ludmilla sounded surprised, and I could almost imagine the small wrinkle on her forehead. “Wonder what’s up with that.”

“Yeah,” I said. “Me too. I think he’ll be there tonight, though. So maybe I can get a chance to discuss all of this with him.”

“Oh, he’s not going,” Ludmilla said. “Something came up. He just told me that’s why I’m calling. I wanted to make sure it wasn’t anything with you.”

“He called you?” I frowned. “Why didn’t he call me? Do you have any idea what this stupid dress cost me? Half of my savings, all gone.”

“I’ll pay for it,” she said.

“No way, I’m going in to change and then return it first thing tomorrow. If Mr. Larsson isn’t there, then I see no reason why I need to be either.”

“Oh, you can’t do that,” Ludmilla said. She sounded almost afraid now. “You have to go tonight. He sent a whole team of paparazzi there just for your sake.”

“Is everything alright?” I asked. “Why are you pushing this so much?”

“I just know what’s at stake, Cami.” She sighed. “You might not realize the power he has, but I do. And I promise you, I’ll make it all better. In the meantime, though…”