Part Twenty Four

Collins watched Nathan leave the Bridge, this was it, finally. He walked over to the windows on the bridge and looked out on the Earth. It would be safe once again. Collins went to where the bomb was placed, it was active, all he had to do is to enter the four digit code and press enter and the entire Armageddon would explode. He sat down next to the bomb, groaning as he nearly fell over. “I’m getting too old for this” He chuckled to himself. He peered at his watch. Just four minutes to go, just until Nathan leaves the ship, then it will all be over he thought. He reached into his right pocket and pulled out a flask of whiskey, he thought that now was as good time as any, he drunk out of the flask, savouring the taste knowing it was his last drink. This is what he wanted to do. He leant his head back against the cold metal of the ship and closed his eyes before he slowly exhaled, feeling surprisingly relaxed. He checked his watch again, eager to get it over with, he had always been an impatient man and hated waiting. Only three more minutes to go.

Nathan’s feet pounded against the metal beneath him, his soles slamming into the ground as he ran. He was running faster than he had ever ran before excited to leave the Armageddon, once and for all. Oblivious to being detected by Vector or not he ran, Nathan tried to backtrack the way that he came, assuming that there wouldn’t be any Vector alive on that route. He could visualise his way back to the docking bay, not needing to stop to gain his bearings. He was still sprinting when he spotted a Vector up ahead, he didn’t know what to do, for a moment he thought about ducking for cover and trying to take out Vector however he realised that he didn’t have any ammo left and he also didn’t have the time. The Vector seemed to be an engineer and wasn’t carrying a weapon; Nathan forced himself to persist, sprinting straight towards the Vector which was still unaware of his position. The Vector engineer eventually heard him and turned around only to be knocked onto the floor as Nathan slammed into him using all his strength. The Vector toppled and was left dazed as Nathan continued running, determined to reach the docking bay.

Collins kept looking at his watch, trying to sense Nathan’s position on the ship. Two minutes left. Was he at the docking bay yet? He wondered assuming Nathan was at least close. Collins knew that he didn’t give Nathan very much time however if Collins left it any longer, The Mother might send a message to all her kin on the Earth ordering them to kill all humans. He knew that once the Armageddon is destroyed, so will The Mother meaning all the Vector would die too due to their leader perishing. He spoke aloud “Come on Walker”

Nathan was nearly there, the automatic doors to the docking bay opened revealing hundreds of Vector ships. He scanned the ships trying to spot a fellow Militia soldier, on the far left he could see a big Vector shuttle prepared with Devin and Robinson waiting outside. Nathan yelled and waved his arms to get their attention before sprinting down the stairs, he was just in time too as the engines were already fired up.

The shuttle had already started moving slowly towards the exit. Even though the pilot was aware of Nathan’s arrival, she wanted to set off and get as far away from the explosion as she could. Nathan continued sprinting, running on adrenaline and knowing that he was so close to escaping. That’s when he saw the Vector; it had appeared from behind a nearby ship and had Nathan in its sights, it was too late to react. The Vector instantly fired at Nathan and the bullet hit him in the chest before he collapsed to the ground, unable to keep his balance. He was ten metres away from the ship, but he wasn’t going anywhere.

Before the Vector had a chance to shoot again Devin and Robinson shot the Vector multiple times, until it was still and black blood was pouring from various different wounds. Nathan was still shocked and hazy; he heard a distant scream before he saw legs running towards him to pick him up. Devin, Robinson and Kasia had managed to carry Nathan to the shuttle and gently rested him down. He saw Kasia; she was crying and pressing down on his chest, desperate to stop the blood leaving his body. “Not now, not here” She cried. The doors quickly sealed shut and the shuttle departed the Armageddon, merely seconds after Nathan got onto the shuttle. The shuttle flew off at maximum speed and soared through the air.

Collins looked at his watch for the final time. It was time. He sighed a final sigh of relief before quickly entering the code 2247. Immediately the whole ship erupted in an inferno of flames. The shuttle was blasted by the impact but managed to safely escape. The fire lit the sky in space before almost suddenly the flames went out leaving the carcass of the Mother Ship. Through a small round window in the shuttle, Nathan saw the Armageddon go up in flames, and saw the remains of the once indestructible ship; it had been completely destroyed by the explosive device. The Mother gone with it and finally, the Vector threat was gone. Nathan gave a weak smile of victory. It’s over, it’s finally over. Before the whole world turned black.