Part Seven

Nathan woke up. He rubbed his eyes before checking his watch; it was 6:04am. He stood up from his bed, his legs were stiff and it took a few minutes before he began to feel them again. He had cramp in his stomach, he was curious on why he had them when he realised that he must be nervous. He had never been nervous before a mission, why now? He thought that it must be because he didn’t have his original crew with him, they were his best friends and his brother was always reassuring and confident which usually improved Nathan’s morale. He contemplated, although his crew and his brother did make him feel better, it wasn’t just the fact that they were absent was the reason why he was nervous though, in general he had a really bad feeling about the whole situation.

General Collins himself coming to Skjeggedal and speaking to him. The determination Collins had to put Nathan on this mission. It just didn’t feel right. Unfortunately there was nothing he could do about it. “If I die, I die” he said to himself pragmatically, “It’s not like I have anything to live for anymore is it?” In a weird way he was trying to reassure himself, or at least try to not fear death quite as much.

Despite of this Nathan still felt that he still wanted to live; the thought of leaving everything behind was unbearable, he wanted to be there when humanity wins this war, maybe even take part in their victory. To an extent he was glad to be back, he had unfinished business and wanted to complete this mission, for him and his brother.

He was meant to meet General Collins on the bridge at 7:00am. Although in reality, time didn’t make sense in space, yet they still have it for convenience. He got dressed in his standard Militia infiltration uniform and had some breakfast. Even after breakfast it was still only 6:30am but he decided to make his way to the bridge anyway. He had nothing better to do. He briskly set off towards the bridge, the sooner he got this over with, the better. As he approached the doors to the bridge, he noticed Devin and a bunch of other Militia guards walk past him; Nathan assumed that Devin had just finished his shift from night patrol. Devin was chatting to one of the other guards and they were all smiling and laughing as a group of friends. Devin didn’t seem to notice Nathan and Nathan didn’t bother trying to get Devin’s attention, he seemed happy and Nathan thought that maybe the Militia wasn’t a bad decision for Devin. Maybe he was wrong about him.

Nathan walked into the bridge and made his way to the conference room where he assumed General Collins would be if he was there already. As Nathan walked into the conference room, General Collins immediately spotted him. He seemed to be talking to some of the Engineers and weapon specialists. Alongside them were Captain Lawrence and Sergeant Major Evans. Nathan wondered what they were talking about this early in the morning and who set up a meeting at this time.

General Collins suddenly hushed the engineer who was talking to him, desperate that Nathan wouldn’t overhear. Nathan grew suspicious, slowly he walked up to everyone making sure to notice who the engineers were and make a mental not of what they looked like.

General Collins spoke. “Ah um... Walker you are here,” he said trying to sound welcoming and friendly.“I was expecting you a little later but... It doesn’t matter. We were just discussing...” He trailed off, Nathan could see his brain working as if attempting think of a plausible excuse. “So, what can I help you with?” He gave a signal to the other people in the room, telling them that the meeting was over. They quickly made their way out of the room, just leaving General Collins and Nathan, not even Vincent was there with them.

Nathan looked at Collins accusingly “I know I’m a bit early but you said we were to meet at seven and it’s nearly seven” Collins looked confused for a moment,

“Of course, come with me” He escorted Nathan out of the room to the front of the bridge. There were clear glass windows which you could see a magnificent view of the Earth, the sun was just starting to rise and you could see yellow light illuminating past the giant planet. It was a beautiful sight and Nathan stood silent, in awe of it.

Collins broke the silence. “Isn’t it beautiful Walker?” He asked rhetorically. Nathan still replied however. “Yeah, it sure is” still staring at his home world below.

“Don’t you see? This is the thing we are trying to save. We need you Walker. Without you, Earth will be lost and everyone on it too. Now I ask you, are you willing to die for this planet?”

“No.” He replied, Collins looked shocked, taken aback by his response. Nathan continued, “I am not. I am not willing to die for the planet but I am willing to die for the people which populate it. So.” Nathan said skipping the formalities, he sighed briefly. “What do you want me to do?”