Part Two

Nathan jumped; he was startled by Devin’s alert while he was in deep thought. He quickly peered to his right, through the mountains; there was a silhouette of a man, presumably a Vector soldier. It was difficult to see through the mist however there definitely was something there. And they were approaching, fast.

“How many do you think there are?” he asked Devin. His eyes straining to get a glimpse of any other signs of life.

“I’m not sure, it’s hard to tell” Devin replied. He sounded a bit nervous, although he proclaimed himself as a fearless warrior, Devin was in fact scared just like any other person, and anyone in their right mind would be afraid of the Vector.

“I think there are about four of them maybe more” Nathan said seeming doubtful of their chances before realising they had a strategic position in the make-shift watch tower. Looking through the scope of his sniper rifle, he finally caught a good look at the Vector soldiers; there were indeed four of them, all of them carrying heavy weaponry and all heading straight for the watch tower. Nathan heard a shot before suddenly one of the rafters that held the watch tower up collapsed. And Nathan and Devin were thrown off their feet.

The tower now only had three rafters and they were all under a great deal of pressure. “Open fire!” Nathan shouted prompting Devin to fire too. Bullets rained down on the Vector, clipping one in the shoulder and causing it to lose its balance and collapse to the ground. Nathan was breathing heavily, his shoulders moving up and down, which stopped him from keeping his aim still, and when he fired, the bullets did not find a target

Now they were close. The Vector soldiers were moving in quickly, running at an incredible pace. Nathan and Devin had to eliminate them before they reached the camp, otherwise civilians would be killed. Nathan looked around, wondering what he should do or which Vector soldiers he should kill. Devin however thought for him. “Nathan you take the two on the left, I’ll take the two on the right” he said surprisingly calmly.

Both of them fired attempting to hit their designated targets. Nathan fired and managed to hit one of the Vector clean through the head, black blood spurting out of the exit wound. This however, alarmed the other Vector, the one that had fallen over earlier. The already injured Vector took cover behind a nearby rock. On the other side, Devin had managed to gruesomely kill the two other Vector. Devin hadn’t realised that Nathan hadn’t killed the other Vector and looked confused at why Nathan was still aiming his gun at the rock in which the Vector was hid behind.

“Nathan they’re dead you can let your guard down we-” Devin was interrupted by a searing pain in his shoulder, the Vector had emerged from its cover and had managed to shoot Devin, fortunately it did not get a clean shot as Nathan had shot the Vector in the leg.  The impact from the bullet caused Devin to fall back and lose his balance.

The Vector was still alive and was rampaging forward with no regard for its own life. Nathan started rapidly firing gun at the Vector which the Vector tried to manoeuvre by jumping from side to side as it ran towards him. Running at an astonishing speed which Nathan had never seen the likes of; it was only metres away from the watch tower.

Nathan suddenly realised that he had to reload; the Vector was at the watch tower and was now climbing the rafters. Nathan fumbled with the magazine, desperate to fire. Devin was on the floor, still shocked and he was unaware of the Vector, however it wasn’t like he could have done anything in the state he was in. Nathan was scared Devin was badly hurt however he had other problems.  The Vector ascended the tower until it was standing on the same ground as Nathan was. It seemed to have lost its weapon; nevertheless it was displaying its razor sharp claws, ready to rip into Nathan’s throat. Nathan pulled the catch forward just before and the Vector lunged for him, he instantly fired, unaware of what he was hitting. Suddenly the Vector collapsed in front of him, dead.

Nathan sighed from relief, he kicked the mutilated corpse of the alien aside before rushing to help his friend to his feet. Devin had a wound on his shoulder, it was gushing blood out however through the blood Nathan spotted that it didn’t look too serious and no arteries were hit. Nathan supported by putting Devin’s other arm over Nathan’s neck and slowly they walked to the medical tent.

“What happened?” Asked Doctor Reeve, not really caring however feeling implied to ask since he was the doctor. Nathan didn’t like Doctor Reeve; he seemed to be a very grumpy and miserable man even with the current circumstances of the war.

“He got shot in the shoulder, I looked it over it doesn’t look too bad. I think he just needs a bandage.” Nathan replied

“Oh are you the doctor? No you’re not, now let me get my job done.” Nathan shot Doctor Reeve a dirty look before leaving his friend there. He lifted the flap of the tent and left. The events of today were dangerous and Nathan thought that he could have handled it a bit better however in the end he had done the job despite of a casualty. He thought to himself, maybe I am doing something useful.