Part Six

He has to die. It’s the only way to save humanity. General Collins was in his quarters studying an old fashioned globe, occasionally he brushed his hand against it making it spin. He was in deep thought and had asked everyone not to disturb him.  Walker has to die; he had seen too much inside the Armageddon, he knew the Vector’s plans. And the leader, the one who called itself ‘The Mother’ had insisted that Walker was taken care of, otherwise this Vector had threatened a full scale invasion on the Earth killing everyone on it, Collins didn’t doubt that it was possible, probable in fact that if the Vector invaded, that would be the end of humanity.

The worst part was that the Vector wanted to see Walker’s dead body, which meant getting Walker onto the Armageddon. He had devised this ‘mission’ so that Nathan would board the Armageddon, disable the shields, and with a tracking device on him, Collins would order to fire on the Armageddon, thus killing Walker. He hated himself for doing this, every time he looked in the mirror he didn’t see himself, he saw a ghost of what he once was, void of any humanity, an empty host.

He despised the waiting, his stomach clenched every time he moved and he was sweating a great deal, water forming on his forehead and drenching his hair. He just wanted it to be over with, to be done with all these deals he had made with ‘The Mother’, he didn’t trust it and more and more predicted that it was going to betray him. He had made so many deals with it that he was scared that he was breaking one of the terms and the Armageddon would open fire on Earth.

If any officials knew that he was negotiating with the Vector he wouldn’t know what they would do to him. Would they kill him? He thought. He spoke to himself, as if trying to convince himself what he was doing was right. “Humanities surrender is better than humanities extinction, isn’t it?” Collins thought that if humans accepted the Vector as dominant over them, then they would be spared. Then maybe one day, humanity would rise up and take back the Earth.

Collins was not in the right state of mind to be governing the Militia, he had never wanted this role and it was forced upon him by everyone, he hated the responsibility of billions of lives on his hands. It was all too much. He ran a hand through his hot, sweaty head; he was stressed and was racked with guilt. He knew that when Walker boarded that ship, he would not be coming back. And that would be on his hands.

General Collins stood up and focussed. He must think about the greater good. If he let Walker live then humanity would die. There was only one solution, Walker has to die.