Part Three

As Nathan emerged from the tent, he was confronted by a tall man with excellent posture standing directly in front of him, his hands were behind his back and he seemed to be awaiting Nathan. He had black hair that was starting to turn grey at the sides which was cut in a military style. He had a stern and serious face and a long scar that stretched across his jaw. He wore an immaculate dark green military uniform decorated with small shapes of shiny metallic gold, medals and awards for certain deeds. Nathan knew all too well who this man was.

“We need you Walker” stated the man, looking embarrassed and refraining from making eye contact probably due to being ashamed for asking for help, he seemed to look past Nathan. Nathan quickly glanced at the man, “I’m not going back” He stated simply and stubbornly before starting to walk away from the man, not caring what he had to say and clearly not wanting anything to do with him. “Walker, you’re one of the best infiltrators the Militia has to offer, why would you waste your gift here when you could be protecting our planet?” The man said in an attempt to persuade Nathan. The man had desperation in his voice which Nathan found this incredibly strange due to him maintaining a commanding and powerful voice. Nathan stopped walking and turned his head to look at the man.

“Listen, I am protecting this village. Without me, everyone would probably be dead. So my talents aren’t wasted and I’m still not going back” Nathan said bluntly. He was starting to become agitated, why wouldn’t they just leave him alone? Yet again Nathan attempted to walk away, this time determined not to reply to anything the man had to say.

The man however persisted to attempt to change Nathan’s mind. “Without you, everyone in the world will be dead” the man said, he started walking after Nathan as he said it, rushing after him. Out of the corner of Nathan’s eye he could see the medical tent move, it was Devin. He appeared from the tent with a sling around his shoulder but despite of his injury he seemed cheerful. Nathan stopped walking away and returned to where Devin was standing. “Are you OK Devin?” he asked. Devin looked down at his arm in the sling and then shrugged. “I suppose so; at least I’m not dead,” He then noticed the man behind Nathan “who’s this?” Before Nathan had time to answer the man introduced himself.

“I am General Robert Collins of the Earth’s Defence Militia” he seemed proud of himself for attaining such a prestigious ranking and was not afraid to brag of his status.

“You’re the leader of the EDM?” Devin asked surprised, wondering why he would come to the middle of Norway when humanity was at war. Then he realised that Nathan must be important, and the Militia needed him.

“That is correct. And you are?” Asked General Collins politely thinking maybe Nathan’s friend could persuade him to rejoin the Militia.

“Um Devin Hofland Sir” He said unsure on how to address this General.

“Hofland? You’re from Norway I assume?” General Collins asked trying to make small talk.

“Yes Sir”

“Your English is fantastic”

“Thanks Sir, I spent eight years living in Herefordshire before returning to Norway to protect my country.” Devin sounded proud of his decisions. “Why have you come here?” He asked not trying to sound rude.

“I have come for your friend Nathan Walker, he deserted the Militia and we need him back. He has an important mission to undertake.”

Devin turned to Nathan “You deserted the Militia? Why?” He asked horrified, looking at Nathan like he was a cannibal.

“Yes” General Collins asked accusingly, “why did you desert the Militia?”

Nathan suddenly turned hostile, “You bloody know why I deserted! They all died!” His fist clenched and he looked like he was going to attack General Collins.

Aware that Devin was present General Collins tried to handle the situation. “Calm down Walker, it’s OK. Come with me and we’ll talk out everything” He sounded sympathetic and kind. Nathan shot him a stare, “I’m not going anywhere” He said finally. General Collins sighed sounding frustrated, “Fine. Looks like we’ll have to do this the hard way. Franklin! Howard! Restrain Walker.” From behind Nathan, two giant men came and grabbed his arms. He tried to struggle but they had him in a strong grasp, one that he could not escape from. General Collins pulled out a shiny silver box; he opened it and revealed a syringe with a clear liquid already inside it.

Nathan’s right sleeve was pulled up and his arm was presented to General Collins. He started struggling more than ever but was still heavily restrained and wasn’t going anywhere. The General injected the liquid into Nathan and moments later he started to feel weak, he stopped struggling and eventually passed out. Devin was watching shocked. “What did you do to him?” He demanded sounding distressed. General Collins was surprised for a moment, realising Devin was still there. He smiled at Devin “Don’t worry, it’s just a sedative.” He then briskly changed the topic, wanting no more questions about the situation. “Oh and by the way, would you like to become a soldier for the Militia?” Collins wanted to make sure Devin didn’t speak about this to anyone.

“Really? Great! Thank you Sir. When do I start?”

“I have a helicopter nearby, come with us now.” General Collins said sounding demanding. And so General Collins, Devin and the two men carrying Nathan’s lifeless body walked to the heavily armoured chopper a few hundred metres away. Nathan’s body was rested on two of the seats and was strapped in, the other four sat down on the unoccupied seats. The helicopter set off into the sky leaving Norway and the Earth behind.