Part Ten

Nathan forced his eyes shut, desperate not to recall the events that plagued his mind. With his eyes still closed, he started walking at a quicker pace unaware of what was around him. He continued walking past the mark on the ground and carelessly he walked straight into the shield cooling room, only just opening his eyes as he emerged. As he stumbled into the room, he alerted three Vector engineers who were operating the consoles in the opposite side of the room. Nathan finally opened his eyes to reveal the three Vector already reacting. The first Vector to move turned around to spot Nathan still at the doors of the room. With extraordinary reflexes, it dived for its pistol that was placed on a metal table a few metres away from it, nevertheless Nathan had the advantage of having his weapon already in his hands, he was alert again and without even thinking about it, raised his gun and silenced the Vector engineer before it could even raise its pistol.

The other two Vector were slower to react and appeared to be attached up to some sort of machine, Metal tubes had pierced the Vector’s flesh many times in their body and some sort of substance was flowing. Nathan couldn’t tell if the substance was flowing in or out of the Vector.  As Nathan approached the two engineers, trying his best to remain quiet, his rifle raised and ready to fire, one of the engineers lunged for him, its back twisting to try and get him however the machinery the Vector was plugged into restrained it from reaching him and it was left 2 metres away from Nathan. The Vector was clawing at the air, no doubt desperate to rip into his stomach. The other Vector seemed more intelligent and it began to remove the metal clamps which were connecting it to this machine, once completed it could attack Nathan. It finally removed the last clamp only to have it being shot through the head by Nathan who had already taken care of the other Vector engineer. All three were dead.

He examined the two engineers, sharp metal spikes had been injected into their flesh and the clamps made sure they wouldn’t come loose. Nathan observed the Vector who had managed to remove all the clamps, there were many holes in its body, all going several centimetres in it, almost to the centre of the Vector. The clamps and spikes were attached to flexible metal poles that ran to a machine. Nathan wandered over to the machine, fascinated by it. It contained a turquoise coloured thick liquid. Plasma. This was the main import into that came into the Armageddon. Plasma was used by the Vector as an energy source, it powered almost everything on the Armageddon, from the shields to the engines and the Vector had even managed to somehow use it in weaponary. Nathan was curious of where the Vector were obtaining this plasma; their home planet must be millions of miles away. However what Nathan was more concerned about was why the plasma was being injected into Vector engineers. Were they test subjects?

Nathan had a terrible thought, one that made him shudder just at the thought of. If plasma could be used more universally, then it could be used for more than to just power machines, maybe they could power living organisms as well. Nathan didn’t know or want to know how it would work, but the Vector would find a way and it seemed they might have already found one. If this was the case, then Vector that were injected with plasma could become super soldiers!

Nathan thought, he had to stop this, otherwise the idea of humanity winning the war would become a pipe dream. Nathan took many pictures of the plasma and Vector engineers hooked up to this machine, the video camera on his bag was still recording and all the footage was constantly being sent to the Quicksilver, the officers and scientists on the Quicksilver would know about the plasma in a matter of moments. Nathan felt happy and to an extent proud of himself that he had discovered a major tactic that could be used against humanity, this would certainly damage the Vector’s plans for the domination of Earth.

Now, Nathan thought, the only thing left to do was to destroy the shield generators so that the shields protecting the Armageddon would be disabled. It would take the Vector a long time to restore the shields and that might give humanity enough time to destroy the Armageddon and win the war. He planted two explosives onto each generator; he placed them in systematic spot that would mean that the generators would definitely be destroyed. The explosives stuck to the generators, and everything was ready to explode as soon as Nathan got to a clear distance.

He walked until he was about 50 meters away before he pulled the trigger to detonate the explosives, he watched as the two shield generators exploded and were no more, through the fire and black smoke he could see that there was nothing left of the shield generators. The explosion also managed to destroy the plasma tank and machine so Vector super soldiers wouldn’t be available so soon for the Vector forces. The three Vector corpses were incinerated leaving nothing left but ash of their remains.

Now Nathan had to hurry, he didn’t have much time before Vector soldiers arrived wondering what that explosion was. There would be too many for him to deal with and he would be surely killed. Right off the mark he started sprinting down the corridor to the cooling chambers, the metal doors slid open and he continued sprinting as fast as he could, oblivious to whether he was detected by any Vector. He had lost the element of stealth when he blew up the shield generators. He passed the burn mark on the floor, too focussed on escaping to realise. He was starting to look up, everything had gone to plan and maybe he might just make it out of the Armageddon alive.

As he reached the docking bay door, only minutes away from his escape, a catastrophic force swept him off his feet before an explosion hit the left hand side of the corridor, the impact pushing him to the right hand side of the corridor like a ragdoll. His ears were ringing and he could feel the intense heat from a fire that started a mere few metres away from him. He raised his hand, somehow expecting to be protected from the searing flames that were creeping towards him, he looked at his hand, covered in blood although he didn’t know where from. He tried to lift himself to his feet using all the strength he had, he managed to stand and he started slowly walking. He stumbled only a metre before a final devastating explosion occurred; he fell back and looked at the fire, nearly on him now. He knew he was going to die, so he closed his eyes, welcoming death and quickly drifted off to sleep.