Chapter Twenty-Three

Snow was standing in the center of her tree house, arrow notched and bow drawn back. The pirate shepherd was across from her, his sword at the ready. They were both staring into each other's eyes deeply, too deeply. Their stances did not appear ready for battle, but rather frozen in time. Their faces were frozen as well, emotionless, except for their eyes appeared to be having a conversation all their own.

"No," you breathed, your voice a feather brushing the floor. Snow was supposed to be here for you when you needed it, not off finding a pirate lover who didn't even appear fit for that. You reached your hand out, melting the pirate's sword, breaking the spell.

He looked at his sword, now dripping onto the ground, then over at you, fear filling his eyes, especially since you were blocking the only real exit. You smirked.

"S-Stella, how did you do that?" Snow asked. "Since when do you have magic?"

"Why, since you start falling for the first pirate who comes around, of course." You finished climbing the ladder, standing confidently on the wooden floor, a hand on your hip.

Snow blushed. "I-I didn't...he's not..."

You rolled your eyes. "The real question is, what is he doing here? It appears he came here because he needed something from you, but what exactly?"

"He needed me," Snow said, then blushed even deeper as you raised a brow. "I mean, Captain Wendy commanded him to come take me captive and bring me to the Jolly Roger. She must be getting a lot stupider if she thinks that one pirate will be able to not only beat me, but force me all the way to his ship."

"It wouldn't be hard if you were knocked out," the pirate exploded. "And I could have easily done it if she," he gestured to you, "hadn't melted my sword!"

"Oh, really? Because it appeared to me that you were more trying to hypnotize her than to knock her out." At this point, red spread across both their faces, sweat beading their brows. This was more than you could deal with right now.

You lifted your hand, and with it the pirate, pulling him over to the hole you had come out of and dropping him neatly down it. You heard a light snap and a groan and you grinned, brushing his dirt off of your magically-messed hands contentedly.

"Yeesss, that's it dearie. You're doing so well, I'm quite proud of you." With that you tried to do the same to that demon, but he simply chuckled. "It's much harder to throw me away, dearie. You should know that by now."

You decided to ignore him, turning instead to Snow. "What were you thinking? A pirate? You were just going to stare at him until he inched close enough that your bow was no longer any use and you were one of Wendy's bargaining chips?"

"He wasn't inching closer...was he?" Snow answered, her eyes pleading for an answer.

You simply shook your head and sat down on her bed. Today had probably been the longest day you had ever experienced, and it still wasn't over yet.

"You're right. Worrying over a pirate's...motives is not what I should be thinking about. What's going on with you? Why do you have magic all of a sudden? Did Pan give it to you?"

"To tell her, or not to tell her, that is the question. Hm?" Rumplestiltskin cackled in the corner he had claimed.

You rubbed your hands over your face and groaned. "In a way, I guess." You sighed. Snow was your sister and you trusted her. You also wanted some sort of advice on what you should do. But she also would be horrified that you had darkness inside you, horrified that you kept giving into it, worried that you weren't strong enough to fight it off.