Chapter Four

Snow slowly circled you, making sure that you looked perfect. This was the second ball you would be attending since you started staying at the Charming's castle. But it was the first one you would be attending by yourself. You were grateful for that, considering how Snow had acted at the last one. Pointing out cute princes and speculating if the two of you would make a good couple and then pushing you straight towards them. She left it to you to take care of some awkward conversations.

      But tonight Snow had an important meeting. She had time before it started to make sure the maids did a good job. And they did. You were wearing a beautiful floor-length (f/color) dress. Your hair was up in an elaborate hairstyle, the wisps curled beautifully. You wore a mask that perfectly matched your dress, as you were going to a masquerade. In fact, the ball you were going to was very unique. If you didn't know better, you would say it had been put on by a fairy, instead of by Prince Charles. He called it The True Love Masquerade. The rules were simple; keep your mask on until if and when you think you've found your true love. If you had, you would leave your mask off for the remainder of the evening. It was also a unique but very simple way to see who was available.

      "You look absolutely stunning," Snow told you when the inspection was complete. "I know every prince there will be dying to dance with you." She took your hands in hers. "And I have a really good feeling about tonight. I don't know why, but I really feel that tonight will be the night when you find him. And I want to be the first one that you tell. My meeting will be long before the ball is, and I will be waiting here for when you come back."

      "I can feel it, too. It's like energy in the air, telling me that tonight's the night. Maybe it's woman's sixth sense or something. But Snow, I just know I'm going to find him tonight!" And with those words you let go of Snow's hands and spun in a circle, your dress swirling around you. Finally you were free of your father's endless demands, and tonight was the night where it would all pay off.

      "Oh, I have something for you." Snow pulled out an intricate gold rose necklace out of her pocket. You turned around so she could put it on. She clasped it around your neck, turning you around to inspect her work.

      "Are you completely sure they'll be okay with just your cousin coming when they invited you and Charming?" you asked nervously, smoothing down your dress.

      "They don't have a choice," Snow turned you around so you were facing her. "Tonight will be the night you find your true love and happy ending just like I did. When you find your true love, you'll know for sure that no matter what comes against you, you'll have someone to stand by your side. You have someone who's always there for you, even when you wouldn't be there for yourself." Her eyes glazed over as she reminisced.

       "Yeah, I know. I want what you have. I want to find my true love. And now that you rescued me from my parents and that horrible arranged marriage, I finally have a chance. Thank you so much, Snow! I would do anything to find my Prince Charming, that's why I'm willing to wear this tight corset and attend every ball in all the nearby kingdoms. I will stop at no measure to find him, because when I do, he'll change my life."

      "Go get him, Stella. I know that you will find him. Don't give up, no matter how long it takes, because in the end, it will all be worth it. Now, go have some fun."

      You left the palace and entered the carriage, ready to attend your first ball alone.

      Pulling up to Prince Charles' palace, the footman opened the carriage door and helped you down. You took a deep breath to quiet your unsteady nerves and headed inside. Heading inside you came to a butler and handed him your gilded invitation. "This is an invitation for King James and Queen Snow."