Chapter 10

10

Dave’s mind on autopilot, he answers the phone the second it had rungs.

The sound of his mother’s voice spoke through the Bluetooth device, “Dave, honey!”

What a screw up coincidence, he just walked out on his father, and now he was talking to his mother. Whoa! Talk about Bad luck and double whammy.

“Mom?”

“Well, yes this is your mother. Enough about this small talk, I’m guessing you already know why I am calling?”

“I don’t know mom?” Dave’s mother could just imagine her son frowning on the device.

“Well, it’s almost Christmas and I just want to let you know that I’ll be there, with you.” Stacy rattled on excitedly. “I’ll fly by tomorrow evening.”

“Great mom.”

“C’mon can’t you show a little more enthusiasm coming from my baby boy?” Stacy teased.

Dave chuckled, “Mom, I’m trilled—seriously, can’t you hear how ecstatic I am. I’m literally jumping for joy! “ 

“Good. Just tell your aunt Darla. You know she doesn’t want to be the last person knowing about my arrival, will ya?”

“Piece of cake!”

“Okay, I have to go hon. I have to hurry and finished packing my luggage. See ya soon!” Stacy said goodbye to her son and disconnected the call.    

Dave sighs in exhaustion. His mom is coming home. The thought itself left a sour taste in his mouth. Don’t get him wrong. He loves his mom, but could she handle the controversies speculating all over the news about him and his bastard of a father?

Dave shook his head, eager to get rid of the thought for just a moment.  

He desperately needs to get away from civilization and his overbearing parents, he throws his leather jacket on the polished Italian interior of his convertible Ferrari, and jumped on his seat, turned on the engine drifted off briskly, leaving a massive trail of tires marks behind his wake.

After driving for a while he turned into a dirt road, a place completely isolated from the glitz and the glamour of the metropolitan area.

He stops into the spot where he, his cousin Brandon and the rest of their five other childhood friends usually spend their summers together, in a private cabin just at cliff overlooking the city.

He lies down on top of the hood of his convertible, and tucked his hands behind his head. It has been a long time since he came there. Contented with the isolation, and the beauty of his surroundings, he rolled over and jumped on the driver seat, adjusted it and sat there gazing at the sky as the sunrises in horizon.

Later on that morning, Dave decided to head back to Brandon’s penthouse. He was energized, and ready to face the world again.

Which reminded him of his mother? Oh, good lord he had to put his act together. Even just for a show, for his mother’s sake.

He wasn’t a good actor. He never did drama class. Neither, start now.

Being the expected and well-mannered good boy wasn’t such a bad role wasn’t it? It was just for a time being. It’s not like he would have to pretend his entire life, it was just the entire duration of the holiday.