Chapter 15

15

Dave Strider knew exactly what he was doing when he walked to that concrete door. He will soon face the man of the hour, not that it was a pleasant surprise either it was just simply a horrid confirmation of Don Strider despicable doings, and ultimate lack of shame.

Oh man! He never knew a person can possess so much effrontery to showcase his face in front of the mass people.

Don stood in the middle of the crowd, nursing a half empty champagne flute. He was talking to the host, a woman in her mid-fifties, who clearly has to endure his depressing company for another minute or two. Dave can tell by the way she glanced every so often on her expensive chain in her wrist.

Dave shook his head and glanced at the petite fingers clasped stiffly in his arm, he almost lost his control. He had entirely forgotten that his precious mother was standing beside him all along. The last thing he needed was to create a scene.

Stacy flashed him a smile and gave her son a reassuring squeezed on his arm. "We're going to be just fine." She whispered.

Right. God help him, because he'll need every ounce of self-control not to pummel his father's face in front of so many observers.

After a while, Dave excused himself and approached the bar attendant. He asked for a glass of orange juice for his mother, and when he was about to walked back to their table. He had not intentionally heard a whiff of what the small circle of men are talking about.

 "I heard from a reliable friend that a high ranking Judge is behind Don's cases dismissal." The man said, blowing out his cigar.

Dave angled his body towards the group, his full attention now at the balding man beside the man who was smoking.

The balding man laughs, "Ah yes! The power of money of course! He can, without a doubt pay! After all his company makes millions per hour."

"I bet he paid the Judge handsomely, it would be a shame if he would wear his expensive suits inside the jail."

"Oh you're right. Although, I prefer to see that snob inside the prison." The man with cigar said.

Dave found himself nodding and agreeing at that thought. It will be a great sight to see, but he has better idea than the confinement of the prison cell. It will be an exceptional sight to the old man rotting in a dungeon just like the old times.  

Bullshit, Dave hissed. At his five o'clock, he could most definitely make out a figure approaching his mother. It was his goddamn of a father. He left the group and within a couple of quick strides he whisked his mother on the opposite way.

Stacy looked at her son puzzled. "What's the matter?" she asked, in alarmed.

He shook his head, "Nothing. I just like to take you on a walk. The view outside is marvelous. I know, you love the sea, and I just thought you'd loved if I offer to give you a private tour."

"That's so nice of you." His mother beamed at him happily. "I missed this place, your grandma, me and your aunt used to go here when we were younger."

They are walking side by side, as she unclasped her fancy shoes and decided to walk barefooted, the sand ticking her toes, as the water splashed and wet the length of her designer dress. Stacy giggled like a school girl.

He never thought he'll see his mother this happy, and heard her contagious laughter. "I like you laughing like that." He murmured.

"I like it too...uh, Dave." Stacy replies, and then her expression sobers.

"What is it mother?" he asked, scanning her face.

"ugh...do you remember Rupert?"

He arched up an eyebrow, "Rupert, the guy who lives just across our villa at LA?"

"Yeah, he's the one. Recently, I—ehm..." Stacy struggles to make out any coherent words.

They stopped, "You what?" he began, "You are seeing him don't you?" he asked, unnerved.

She flashes him a hopeful smile, "Yeah, we are some sort of dating?"

Dave sighs, and said. "If he makes you this happy then you have nothing to worry about. I'm fine with it as long as you were happy."

"Thank you son." She whispers with teary eyes.

He holds up a hand, and looked straight into his mother's eyes. "But if he ever makes you cry, I'll get him back, and make him pay. Make sure to tell'em that." He said in a matter of fact tone.

The mother and son headed back to the hotel they were staying at. Back inside his bedroom he opened up his suitcase and selected a fine pair of overruns, he was reserving for his morning jog. Once changed into it, he sat down and opened up a can of beer. He guzzled the entire can in less than a minute.

He stared into the stunning view outside his window, replaying earlier event inside his head. His mother confessed that Rupert is actually here, and he'll be joining them tomorrow in their luncheon. Okay! Geez, he never could have predict that his mother has too many surprises hidden under her sleeves. A week before, if someone would say to him that his mother would be dating he would have a hard time believing it.

Rupert is a good guy, maybe he was five years his mother's junior, but age is just number. Rupert is not after her mother's money, he was well off by himself. In fact he has probably, more dollars attached to his name than them. He was divorced, and has no children either.

Maybe it was love? Dave cannot believe he was saying this to himself.  He needed something else to think about. Love is such a loaded word for Dave. A brochure pooped inside his head, something about mountain climbing. Yes. That's right, he'll try that one. He needed to get his act together, and try something that would offload the stress.

He was not expecting it, but if that meant his mother's happiness then who is he to deny her that. She deserves it. That cool February evening ends with a lighter note. Thank god. Dave mutters to himself.