Chapter 4

4

Madison stood up, glaring at her reflection. Another day, another fight with her freeze hair, true to that Madison cursed aloud.  Just, like the famous shampoo commercial advertisement yet, her hair look nothing close to smooth, shinny, simmering speeded… and whatever god knows of words to describe a gorgeous hair.

Clutching her priceless weapon in one had she took a handful of mane and glided the brush thoroughly, in attempt to unbind the massive hair nested on top of her head. 

Halfway through, Madison couldn’t help but cried out in frustration because of her hair’s lack of cooperation. Her jaw clenched, as she tried to pull off the threat of knotted hair formed on the ends.  

Suddenly, the loud sound of an object hit the bathroom floor and the poor plastic brush was broken to half. “Holy shit!” she gasped, in horror.

Her eyes transfixed between her comical reflection, and the allegedly grooming tool with promising marketing add that could tame her unruly hair. What a joke? Her eyes widen in furry. So far, based from her drastic experience, and as of the moment, she doesn't exhibits any kind of resemblance to a happy and satisfied customer. She is livid, beyond disbelief.

“Oooooh… C’mon! Stupid fragile brushed! What are you, made in freaking china?” she snapped irately, discarding the other half of the brushed into the trash bin with force.

A knock on the door distracted her mid rant of cruses. “Answer the damn door June!” she yelled, “June! The door!” she shouted, heatedly.

C’mon can’t a girl have some privacy? Perhaps, an alone time maybe? Can’t anyone see she’s having a bad hair day?

She draws in an air, “Hold up caveman! Stop bulldozing our door! I’m coming!” she complained.  

Fuming, she marched out of the bathroom and yanked it open. “Are you trying to tear down our door?” she asked huffy.

She was taken aback, the moment the door was snitched open. Stunned, her eyes widen, mouth and all hanging open.  

“No, sorry I thought I heard something shattered, I thought something—bad might happened to you?” he replied, hesitantly in defense.

“Everything alright?” he asked, scratching the back of his head.

Gracious mother of earth! What is he doing standing so ravishing in front of her door? Panic-stricken, aren’t this apartment unit supposedly soundproof? Oh god, she looked completely violated, hair still in a tangled of huge mess. Have mercy, she pondered on closing the damn door!

Realizing her mouth is gapping open, she snapped it closed. And nodded, plainly.

“Are you sure?” he pries.

Madison gave him a faint smile, and nodded again uncharacteristically lost out of words to say.

He reciprocates with a nervous smile. “Okay, then? I guess I’ll go.”    

She nodded, dismissively.

Finally left alone, Madison let out a whimper. She cannot comprehend how ill fated she was. Of all the people in the world, why does it have to be Lance on her doorstep?  

An hour later, Madison let out an expansive sigh. Her alarm went off thirty minutes ago; she’ll be late for her appointment, all thanks to her misbehaving hair.  She gave up all her hopes in untangling the knotted filaments.

No matter how much effort she had exerted in combing her hair it won’t just bulged. So, that leaves her with no choice but to pin it up. Screw bad hair day. Running late, she cannot afford to be late. Mrs. Santos won’t tolerate tardiness.

The clock is ticking, she had to hurry now, or else she’ll be doomed.  Besides, her appointment is only this morning. Let’s just say— assuming, she made it on time. There’s nothing else penciled down on her schedule, and she’ll have the rest of the afternoon to wallow about her bizarre fashion mishaps.

She glided her fingertips, and teased the crown of her head with a teasing comb, and then grabs a section of hair between her hairline and the crown of her head, and she secured it with bobby pins. Then, she grabs a tiny section of hair from the front right side of her head, and wraps it behind her head. And she secured the locks gently with a bobby pin.

Madison repeat it on the left side, and continue those steps until she'd pulled back three to four sections on each side, alternating the placement of the pins every time.

Voila! She finally managed to regroup the messy locks into an easy half-up updo.

Madison glanced up in her reflection, and nodded satisfactory. She was decently presentable, than the situation requires her to be. Now, all she had to do was nailed it.

*

“Hi” Erin voice said through the speaker.

“E it’s me, Madison.”

“Hey, what’s up?” she questioned.

“Are you free today? Could you, come on over? Mrs. Santos wanted to talk to you.” she inquired, hesitantly.

Erin pause for a moment, debating. “Sure, what time should we meet up?”

“Could you possibly go out now? We’ll meet her right at the café near your house. I’m running late?” Madison swiped the clammy palm in the side of her jeans. Please say yes! Please say yes! She chanted inside her head.

Nodding, “Sure, I’m on my way.” Erin counters, disconnecting the phone.   

 Madison sighs in relief, and wiped her forehead with the back of her palm.

She hadn’t spoken with her sister for a few months, except occasional greetings other than that they don’t talk, not anymore. Not that she doesn't mind, they were half sister but none the less still, they were blood related and came from the same biological mother. 

Ever since Erin's twenty-first birthday. Erin had been detached to people, and she move across England. And now she’s back, hopefully the Erin that she knew will be back as well. She just hopes.

Now back on the matter on hand, the appointment with Mrs. Santos, and the most anticipated reunion with her sister.  

What else could she loose, knowing how fate is playing a huge joke out of her life?   

Here goes nothing!