Chapter 3

3

Dave shook off the remains of the blood on his fist. His knuckles, bruised. He stood up, and glanced down at the body before him. Again, he had managed to get himself into another fight.

“This is really bad.” Tyler said, behind him.

He looked over his shoulders, and smirked. “I haven’t started. This is just a warm-up.”

Tyler, tsked him. “What if Carl called the cops on us?”

“Don’t tell me you’re scared Tyler?” He said stifling a laugh, “Such a coward.” he added, mockingly.

Scowling, Tyler shook his head in denial. “Don’t spoke rubbish asshole. I’m not scared, just worried.”

He shrugs his shoulder, indifferently. “Scared, worried… Both ends with the same letter, and sounds exactly the same thing to me.”

Tyler smacked his forehead, and let out an expansive sigh. “Ugh… Idiot! Sometimes, I wonder why am I still friends with you. You’re an ass”

“Exactly my sentiment,” Dave replied, seriously. “You know what they said, birds of the same feathers, flocks together.” He silently added.    

“Ugh… I can’t believe we’re having this conversation.” Tyler counters, annoyingly. “We better get going before Carl knew what we did to his minions.”

He was just about to turn right on the corner, when he glanced back though his shoulder he couldn’t see Dave behind him. “Again! Again! What am I going to do with that crazy idiot.” he mumbled, looking up in the sky for guidance. He huffed and walked back to the path where they came from, planting one foot to another with urgency.

Panting, from his full blown sprint he halt beside Dave. “Dave what are you still doing in here. We had to hurry.”

Not listening, Dave continued to crawl on the ground. “Where is it, I can’t find my wallet. I have to find my wallet.”

“Your— what?” Tyler asked, yelling.

“My wallet!” he snapped.

“Where did you think you’d lost it?”

“I don’t know. Don’t just stand there, help me find it? C’mon, look on the other side.” Dave barked orders at him.

“Find it yourself,” he snorted, shaking his head. “Geez… okay! Fine! You win, I’ll help!” he shouted.

The sound of sirens filling the cold night air, and the fast cars approaching their spot made Tyler nerves to hit sky high. Tyler is worried, and scared.

“Do you hear that?” He asked.

Dave nodded, and shrugged indifferently.  

“That the cops! I say, we better evacuate this place right this instant.” 

They run towards their vehicle. Ripping open the car door with urgency, “Drive,” Tyler yelled at Dave as soon as he inserted his keys.

*

The traffic was slowly moving past the crowd. Madison glanced on the seat beside her. She was the one responsible for calling the cops, and that Dave had no idea at all. She smirks.

Photos checked, a ground breaking news check. Madison grinned mischievously.And won’t you looked at that I had his wallet. She said, mentally crossing out her check-list.

Madison, suddenly looked haggard, and rubbed her forehead. “I can’t believe I’m done this early. I can finally catch a wink.” She mumbled to herself.

Finally home. She turned around, just in time to see Lance walking behind her. One hand still holding the door, as the other hand on her chest calming her pounding heart.

“Madison, right?” he asked.  

 “Pardon me?”

“You’re Madison, am I right? I’m Lance.” He said.

“Yes. Lance of course! I knew you. You live next door. We go to the same school and taking up the same major.” She said, snapping her mouth shut after realizing what she have done. “Great. Just freaking great.” she hissed, silently.

Madison seems to deflate right in front of Lance. She didn’t wanted to sound stalker-ish . Her hand fell off the door knob and she slouches slightly. A moment passed as she slowly rubbed the toe of one sneakered foot against the heel of the other. 

Not wanting to embarrass herself further, she looked down on her shoes. There is really nothing else she could do to change things now, she just made a fool out of herself in front of her long time crush.     

Lance cleared his throat and chuckled. “I didn’t know you knew me. All I thought whenever we’ve crossed path through the corridors you never paid attention to me, or never gave me a second glance.” He mumbled shyly, rubbing the back of his neck.

“Um—I…you,” She bit back a groan, and mentally smacked her head as no coherent words would form. Blame her racing heart and this man in front of her. It’s really hard to focus when his Mr. awesomeness is standing at arms length.

The door flew opened form the inside, and she was suddenly smacked right onto his sold chest. She closed her eyes, savoring the feeling of his arms that firmly clasped around her forearms in support.

She hummed. “You smell delightful.”She said, sniffing his sensuous cologne. 

“Ewe…” June gloated. “Get a room!”

Of course, trust June and her impeccable timing, she would always ruin a perfect moment. Her eyes snapped open as his hands loosens its gripped. She step back, her cheeks inflamed with embarrassment.

Lance stared at her worriedly. “Madison, are you alright?” He reached out to her, but she sidesteps him before his hand made contact with her arms.

Hide, she has to hide her sorry ass. Suddenly, she spun around and bypassed June on the door. She shook her head. She had enough embarrassment to last a life time.

She inwardly cried, and marched towards her room. Great first impression, she spat, sorely.

And here she thought nothing could go worst. Feeling miserable, she finally dragged herself inside her hellhole of a room. She shrugged off jacket and her bag and dived into her bed. Madison, yelped as her face landed on her Macbook. Now, not only did she humiliate herself front of Lance, but also managed to destroy her brand-new laptop. 

She sighs, “This day is a complete failure!”